Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > English IPAs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #31
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I'm only brewing styles from the British Isles, so English IPA's, and ESB's, are very often either in fermenting vessel, in keg, or on deck. I kegged my MO SMaSH IPA a few days ago, using Maris Otter malt, EKG hops, and Wyeast 1882-PC Thames Valley II yeast. I do agree that malt and yeast choices are important, but so is the hop selection. Especially when you're adding the flavor and aroma hops (or dry hopping). My only deviation from the published style is I used the hop bursting technique. 7.5oz of hops all 20 minutes from the end (2oz @20, 1.5oz @15, 1oz @10, 1oz@5, and 2oz @1). This is for a 6.5-7 gallons (to keg) batch. The EKG harvest was at 7.20% AA (so you know). Came out to about 48-49 IBU's (almost the middle of the range) but the hop flavor (from the sample I took at kegging time) is great. Looking forward to having it by the pint. I also mashed at 154 with this batch, to retain more malt flavors. My previous MO SMaSH (ESB) I mashed at 150.

I would advise getting all English/UK ingredients for your English IPA. IMO, going with US hops takes away from what it could have been. Maris Otter malt, and EKG hops are NOT difficult to find/get all over the place. If your LHBS doesn't have both, I'd be surprised. If they don't, then just order it up online and don't worry about it.
I too brew almost exclusively British Isles varieties of beer. I think I made a mistake this year and purchased a bunch of US Goldings in place of East Kent Goldings. I had read several opinions stating that it made almost no difference or that people couldn't really tell the difference. Well, I brew ESBs every 2nd or 3rd batch and the two I've brewed with US Goldings were VERY different than the ones I've been brewing for the last 3 years with EKG. Possibly my older EKG had lost some kick and I snagged this US Goldings the day it was released on hopsdirect. I also upped my hops a bit. I'm trying to tell myself that if I reduce the hops a little I might be back where I was, but so far I'm very disappointed and I'm considering biting the bullet and getting a bulk order of EKG, which would mean my 2lbs of USG would probably go to waste.

Anyway, do you have an opinion on EKG vs USG? I use 1469 West Yorkshire yeast, MO a little British crystal malt and Biscuit malt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #32
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 819 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Check this out. I have the ESB sitting in the fermenter right now, so I can't say how it is, but looks like a solid recipe. And I subbed Fawcett Optic for the Maris Otter.

http://www.byo.com/component/resourc...ride-of-london

Also, to the OP, I think Furthermore brewing has a nice English style ale. And if you can find Fuller's ESB on tap, it is freakin' awesome.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #33
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oh, and Maris Otter extract is a Northern Brewer exclusive.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #34
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I am certainly coming back to read this whole thread and have subscribed, but I did want to make an observation while I am drinking on this...

I went for a growler of Southern Tier 2xIPA yesterday, but the beer store was out...so on a whim I picked up the Sierra Nevada NH Harvest Ale pretty much expecting another "torpedo/celebration."

Wow, I am delighted with this beer, as it strikes me as an excellent English IPA brewed with (i think) American ingredients....but the yeast must surely be British?

...anyway, have any of you had similar impressions?

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Old 12-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #35
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I had some of SN's Harvest on tap and I def agree - it was awesome.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #36
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

I think Im gonna make an all Saaz IPA. Im feelin it. Although I just made and all fuggles IPA.wlp060 liquid blend yeast,and Organic Breiss 2 row/8%crystal malts. I forgot,think I was going to toast some of it,but im going more for the fuggles single hop to get to really see what this hop is like,although it seems unliked. It did well in an irish blonde i made but didnt really use that much in it.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #37
stevedore
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
I am certainly coming back to read this whole thread and have subscribed, but I did want to make an observation while I am drinking on this...

I went for a growler of Southern Tier 2xIPA yesterday, but the beer store was out...so on a whim I picked up the Sierra Nevada NH Harvest Ale pretty much expecting another "torpedo/celebration."

Wow, I am delighted with this beer, as it strikes me as an excellent English IPA brewed with (i think) American ingredients....but the yeast must surely be British?

...anyway, have any of you had similar impressions?
It's English? Are you sure? I haven't seen that one around but I'll keep an eye out. I do have a Southern Tier 2x in the fridge waiting for a tasting..

Current brewing pipeline: empty
Bottled: Rock Steady IPA, Hefeweizen
RIP: Everyday IPA, Coffee Stout
Future: BCBS clone?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #38
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedore

It's English? Are you sure? I haven't seen that one around but I'll keep an eye out. I do have a Southern Tier 2x in the fridge waiting for a tasting..
Northern hem harvest is brewed with all cascade and centennial with their chico strain. So no I'd say its definitively us

Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #39
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Southern Hem is the more grassy, subdued of the two. But it's NZ or AUS inspired. Northern Hem is pungent & American.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #40
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Wow, it must be the fresh hop character that changes it so much. It does not taste like the run-of-the-mill American IPA at all to me.

I am very interested in British styles recently, mainly because I have trouble brewing them for some reason. My intention is to work on these almost exclusively in 2013. I will first work out a couple of recipes and find a yeast I like, then start playing with the water out of interest.

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Quick Reply