Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > English IPAs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
an English IPA beats the American version every time. At least for me it does. I've gotten to loathe the hops most places use for flavor and aroma in American pale ales/IPAs. Any time I try one, I just can't enjoy it. Give me EKG (at the right use) and I'm a happy drinker.
Erroneous on all accounts Just kidding, but I fervently disagree. I actually have the exact opposite feelings about American hops as you do. And to think... you live so close to Vermont with all those great local hoppy American beers! Shame Shame Shame

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
matteroftaste
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

lucky me living in London UK, i brew a lot of english IPA (or as i call them, IPA) for me english ipa must be maris otter, low on the speciality, a little sugar, and predominantly english hops. yum

please forgive any colloquialisms....

Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
angrylu
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My English IPA is very simple, maris otter, british crystal 55, EKG and challenger hops. It got 3rd place at LA county fair.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
stevedore
Recipes 

I think an English IPA is going to be one of my next brews. It probably won't have a complicated recipe indeed. I wonder though if it can be done at all with extract. I'm thinking about going BIAB but I haven't made that step yet. My LHBS should have the right yeast and hops, though.

Current brewing pipeline: empty
Bottled: Rock Steady IPA, Hefeweizen
RIP: Everyday IPA, Coffee Stout
Future: BCBS clone?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #15
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 10

When brewing English beer, IPA or not, your first thought should be the same as if you were making a Belgian or a lager. That is, about yeast!

Look back through history and you'll see the Brits brewing with pretty much everything under the sun... American hops, Czech hops, English hops, Californian malt, Turkish malt, French sugar, American maize, and the list goes on. But guess what stayed the same... you guessed it, yeast.

Therefore, if you would like to brew an English IPA... and not an English 'inspired' IPA... take a minute and consider why using a proper English yeast (and not S-04 or Notty) might just be more important than what variety of hops you are using.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #16
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I did a copy/paste from a site without seeing that...

BTW, IMO/IME, an English IPA beats the American version every time. At least for me it does. I've gotten to loathe the hops most places use for flavor and aroma in American pale ales/IPAs. Any time I try one, I just can't enjoy it. Give me EKG (at the right use) and I'm a happy drinker.
I can't agree more. I find most English IPA's to be just the perfect combination of malt and hops, and just love the mild hop aroma. Just real easy to drink and enjoy without all that bitterness and citrus wham. I just bottled my second batch two weeks ago and can't wait to get into it around Christmas time.

My next batch (and first AG for me) will actually be a Wit, but then I'll go back to the comfort of an ESB or English IPA. I think I need to go through your recipes.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 AM   #17
DavidJP
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

English IPA's in the US seem quite often to be higher in gravity than some I've had in UK. I'm trying to come up with a recipe from a local UK brewery from my youth, sadly closed in 1992 after 150 yrs. They had a lovely golden IPA that came in at 1038 OG and was a lovely summery pint.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #18
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Erroneous on all accounts Just kidding, but I fervently disagree. I actually have the exact opposite feelings about American hops as you do. And to think... you live so close to Vermont with all those great local hoppy American beers! Shame Shame Shame
I have yet to try an American IPA that's worth going into my glass. Don't care where it's come from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteroftaste View Post
lucky me living in London UK, i brew a lot of english IPA (or as i call them, IPA) for me english ipa must be maris otter, low on the speciality, a little sugar, and predominantly english hops. yum
You bastard. Direct access to all that. I don't use any sugar in my batches. Just haven't seen the need for it. Check out my MO SMaSH recipes if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrylu View Post
My English IPA is very simple, maris otter, british crystal 55, EKG and challenger hops. It got 3rd place at LA county fair.
I'll post up my MO SMaSH IPA later. The sample I pulled for the FG (before transferring to serving kegs) had the right amount of hop flavor (and a touch of aroma, in the uncarbonated sample) to make me smile. One 3 gallon keg is in the fridge and the balance is on gas in the basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedore View Post
I think an English IPA is going to be one of my next brews. It probably won't have a complicated recipe indeed. I wonder though if it can be done at all with extract. I'm thinking about going BIAB but I haven't made that step yet. My LHBS should have the right yeast and hops, though.
I believe there's a Maris Otter extract available. Not sure about pricing and availability, but it would be about the only extract I'd even briefly consider for such a batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJP View Post
English IPA's in the US seem quite often to be higher in gravity than some I've had in UK. I'm trying to come up with a recipe from a local UK brewery from my youth, sadly closed in 1992 after 150 yrs. They had a lovely golden IPA that came in at 1038 OG and was a lovely summery pint.
I've made a lower ABV version of mine. Well, closer to 5.5%. For me, that is lower. I might try to make one in the 4.5 area come early spring time. That way it will be ready come summer. I'll probably go with a 12 gallon batch size (to kegs), so that I have enough to fill four serving kegs. That way, if it goes fast, I'll have plenty on hand to not have to brew it too often. Need to brew other things after all.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-06-2012, 05:24 AM   #19
stevedore
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider123 View Post
I can't agree more. I find most English IPA's to be just the perfect combination of malt and hops, and just love the mild hop aroma. Just real easy to drink and enjoy without all that bitterness and citrus wham. I just bottled my second batch two weeks ago and can't wait to get into it around Christmas time.

My next batch (and first AG for me) will actually be a Wit, but then I'll go back to the comfort of an ESB or English IPA. I think I need to go through your recipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteroftaste View Post
Do you guys have a recipe that I can take a look at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJP View Post
Please be kind enough to share the recipe with us once you figure it out! It sounds delicious.

Overall I'm pretty sure I want my next batch to be English-style. Next time I go over to the LHBS I'll check to see if they have Maris Otter. Otherwise I'll just order online.

Current brewing pipeline: empty
Bottled: Rock Steady IPA, Hefeweizen
RIP: Everyday IPA, Coffee Stout
Future: BCBS clone?

Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #20
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

stevedore, the recipes I've posted are all using UK ingredients. Some are not strictly to style parameters, but they're still damned fine brews. All English/UK yeast strains, hops and almost all my malts are from the UK (except for honey malt, which I wish I could get from an UK maltster). My caramel ale has converted more than a few BMC drinkers over to the right side of beer.

I did post up my MO SMaSH IPA earlier tonight, if you care to check it out. Simple to brew, and so damned fine.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply