Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Efficiency Drop for No-Sparge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Bmorebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Efficiency Drop for No-Sparge

Here's a question for those who have a known, calculated, and reliable brewhouse efficiency who batch sparge. And also do recipes with the no sparge method.

I'm interested in doing a no sparge just for the fun of it. I'm pretty dialed in right now with my double batch sparge method at around 78% give or take a few percentage points, but I'm wondering where to calculate my expected efficiency drop. I figure I'll cut that down by an additional 15% or so and go with a BE of 65%.

Either way, I'll pick an easy recipe that has a single bittering hop addition so I can scale it after I measure before the boil - maybe a dry stout.

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
pcollins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I just did one today. I don't really keep track of my efficiency but it did drop according to calculations in BeerSmith. Not really that big a deal as it is to be expected in no-sparge brewing.

15% sounds good if you're calculating prior to doing it. I would just go ahead and do it and see where you end up. Maybe do a style that is "flexible" in its outcome? I did a basic pale ale grain bill (2 row and Munich) and prepped for APA-style hops. Ended up with more of an IIPA in the end so adjusted hops on the fly.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply