HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > EBAY Temp control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1033 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 2750

Default EBAY Temp control

So, to my excitement I received my STC-1000 today. When I opened the box my excitement turned to despair. They sent me a 220VAC instead of the 110VAC that was on the product description of my order. Now I gotta figure out how to get this thing back to the seller in China and get the correct controller. Very depressing! So much for having my ferm chamber ready by next weekend! Have any of you had this problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I had the same thing happened from Mixdtea or something. He was polite about it and shipped me the new ones immediately.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Poke around, I want to say someone took one apart and they are rated for both just at different amperages

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Um, whether it's rated for both depends on what sort of power supply it has in it.

I haven't bought an STC-1000, but my 110v WH-7016c - which looks awful similar, like same designer and factory similar, has a 110v to 12v transformer in it, and then a 5v regulator for the logic bits.

If the STC-1000 220v version has a 220v->12v transformer, with no 110v tap on the transformer (meaning we can't cut some traces and solder some wires to convert it), hooking it up to 110v might result in ~6v on the low voltage side, which would be enough to power the logic but perhaps not enough to throw the relays on and off.

If you post high resolution pictures of both sides of the board, I can tell you if it's likely to work or can easily be converted.

But yes, in my experience, chinese ebay sellers often fall into two categories. 1: Sellers who resolve your problem double-quick with no questions asked, 2: Sellers who don't give a crap until you threaten negative feedback, and then resolve your problem double-quick.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Stauffbier
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Poke around, I want to say someone took one apart and they are rated for both just at different amperages
I was wondering about this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post

If you post high resolution pictures of both sides of the board, I can tell you if it's likely to work or can easily be converted.

But yes, in my experience, chinese ebay sellers often fall into two categories. 1: Sellers who resolve your problem double-quick with no questions asked, 2: Sellers who don't give a crap until you threaten negative feedback, and then resolve your problem double-quick.
I sent them a message a couple hours ago. I'll give them a couple days to respond, before I take it up with Ebay. If I get stuck with it I'll definitely post photos to see if you can help me out!

Thanks Friends!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I was wondering about this..

I sent them a message a couple hours ago. I'll give them a couple days to respond, before I take it up with Ebay. If I get stuck with it I'll definitely post photos to see if you can help me out!

Thanks Friends!
It's very possible. A lot of transformers are dual-primary - meaning that they have two 110v primary coils. If you wire them end to end you can apply 220v, or wire them in parallel for 110v.

But the transformer in my wh-7016c is single-primary.

It's also possible that they have a full-range switching power supply like my cheap PID does. But they would probably advertise that if they did.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
Stauffbier
Recipes 

I've seen some of these on Ebay that say "220 or 110", but the one I bought was listed as 110. I'm thinking they make them with all three options (110, 220, or dual).. I don't want to play around with it out of fear I might hurt it and mess up my chances of getting a refund. I looked to see if I could open it to post photos, but I would have to cut the schematic sticker that's on it. I guess I just have to wait and see what sort of response I get from the seller..

Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Yeah, my cheapo PID was advertised as 85-250v iirc. full range switching supply.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Chrisl77
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post

If the STC-1000 220v version has a 220v->12v transformer, with no 110v tap on the transformer (meaning we can't cut some traces and solder some wires to convert it), hooking it up to 110v might result in ~6v on the low voltage side, which would be enough to power the logic but perhaps not enough to throw the relays on and off.
This would be the outcome you get enough juice to power the unit but not enough to throw the relays. I made a mistake and purchased from the wrong vendor that only was selling the 220v versions so i was sol sending it back to get the 110v version. I wasn't the only one because there where a few group buys going on last year to get replacement transformers to convert it to 110v. It was a pretty simple solder job to replace it and the transformers where pretty cheap but the places that sold them had a minimum order so you had to order multiple transformers at a time.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
Stauffbier
Recipes 

So, they responded. For $5.00 shipping they will send the proper controller and let me keep the 220 one. I guess I can live with that. Maybe I will indeed try to modify the 220 one for my future keezer build...

Quick Reply