Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is it easy to contaminate the beer while transferring to a secondary fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default Is it easy to contaminate the beer while transferring to a secondary fermenter?

I am planning to transfer my beer to a secondary fermenter for dry-hopping after a week (and to avoid yeast flavour from the yeast sediment).

I am wondering if it is relatively easy to contaminate the beer somehow during the process?
I'll obvoiusly sanitize everything that comes into contact with the beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
firerat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I am planning to transfer my beer to a secondary fermenter for dry-hopping after a week (and to avoid yeast flavour from the yeast sediment).

I am wondering if it is relatively easy to contaminate the beer somehow during the process?
I'll obvoiusly sanitize everything that comes into contact with the beer.
Contaminate, as in a bacterial contamination or whatnot, no not really. Just be sure your beer is done fermenting. At this point there isn't a whole lot that bacteria or wild yeast have to feed on. Still be sure to use good sanitation practices.

Oxidation is going to be your big enemy when going to secondary. For that reason a lot of folks (me included) advise against a secondary altogether.

"I never apologize. I'm sorry but thats just the way I am."--Homer J. Simpson

Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
barmyarmy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The anti- secondary people think so, but I have never had that problem. I clean,then sanitize everything. I then flush secondary with a little co2 and it has always worked fine. I hope that helps.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
(and to avoid yeast flavour from the yeast sediment).
In my experience, a secondary doesn't help with this. Yeast will flocculate and fall out of the beer just as fast in a primary as in a secondary. I'm not sure why people think moving the beer from one container to another identical container will somehow make yeast fall out of the beer faster. The only ways I know of to clear a beer faster is with cold crashing or finings (or filtering I guess, but that's kind of a different concept).

EDIT: If you were talking about autolysis, that's pretty much never a concern on the homebrew scale. Usually only happens to big commercial fermenters because of the intense pressures on the yeast cone at the bottom of big conical fermenters.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Never ever have I had a problem doing secondary, just sanitise your racking cane, siphon tubing or whatever your using, and go for it...........

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 07-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 399

If you follow proper sanitation, it's actually fairly difficult to contaminate, and oxygenation isn't much of an issue. Unless you're planning on aging for a long period of time with a lot of headspace, then both of these can become an issue, but for dry hopping, you're fine. As Peter said, you can leave the beer on the yeast for a pretty long time, and it won't have any noticeable effect. You do want to make sure fermentation has been completed for at least a day or two, since the yeast will clean up some of the byproducts they produced during fermentation. So, even though fermentation is complete, the yeast continue working for a little while.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my "rant" that as long as you sanitize and are mindful of oxidation then transferring will not usually cause any problems. There's just no real benefit in my opinion.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 414 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Yeah - it is relatively easy to contaminate your beer....... but it is also relatively easy to avoid doing so with good sanitation processes.

The bigger issue would be oxygen (as mentioned) and making sure you are not racking off the yeast too soon... as opposed to worrying about leaving it on the yeast too long - unless it is sitting in that primary for "months" you are not getting into the realm of picking up bad flavors from the yeast. In fact, you are more likely to get better flavor because the yeast has more time to do its work.

The only compelling (although arguable) benefit to transferring to secondary for a "normal" beer seems to be it potentially allows more trub, yeast and hop particles to drop out before bottling/kegging..... and, even that can be a bit debatable.

Primary: Heady Topper Clone, Double Citra IPA, Munich Helles
Secondary/Lagering: Schwarzbier, Oktoberfest, Bourbon Barrel Porter
Future Brews: Bo-Pilsner, Porter, APA, American Brown, Oatmeal Stout, Schwarzbier #2, British Dark Mild, More...... More....... Beer.......

Old 07-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Your 100x more likely to contaminate the starter.
20x more likely to contaminate the primary ferment.

How's that? I am just guessing btw.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerat View Post
Contaminate, as in a bacterial contamination or whatnot, no not really. Just be sure your beer is done fermenting. At this point there isn't a whole lot that bacteria or wild yeast have to feed on. Still be sure to use good sanitation practices.

Oxidation is going to be your big enemy when going to secondary. For that reason a lot of folks (me included) advise against a secondary altogether.
I agree, oxydation is probably your bigges worry, along with oxygen in the headspace that could allow mold to grow. Usually, before I transfer to a carboy, after it's cleaned and sanitized, I usually put my cleaned and sanitized racking cane in the carboy and push CO2 through it to purge the bottle of oxygen. Then I go ahead and rack the beer into it. Probably not 100% perfect, but it at least gives me the sense of security that my beer isn't touching oxygen. I keg though, and have an extra tap on my distributor that I use for this purpose.

I agree with most though who don't believe it's necessary to ever go to secondary. I just do because I like fermenting in buckets and I prefer to free those up when I have an IPA that needs dry hopping. Especially if i don't have an open keg yet.

Quick Reply