Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > East Kent Golding or Cascade for my Dunkel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default East Kent Golding or Cascade for my Dunkel?

Brewing up a Dunkelwiezen tomorrow, and I can't get the german Hallertau. I have acces to American Hallertau, but I don't want to make the 2 Hour Commute to the Home Brew Shop. The hop addition is a simple 60 minute boiling hop, so I don't think I'll taste a difference. I have Cascade at 6.9% Alpha, and East Kent Golding at 5.0% Alphas. I am looking for right around 14% IBU's. Which do you think I'd be better off with? And do you think it really matters which one I use?

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Both are less than ideal, but I suspect the Cascade will be the more noticeable substitution. I can't verify this from personal experience, but I have heard it mentioned a few times that it has a detectable and characteristic flavour even when used only as a bittering hop. Best to stick with the EKG, IMO. It is going to have more neutral flavour and no aroma, which is desirable in a DW.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The things you find when you dig. I just found .60 ounces of US Hallertau burried in the freezer. So, .60 ounces of US Hallertau, and .70 ounces of East Kent Goldings gives me the IBU's I need.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Quick Reply