New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > East coast vs West coast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
HopLife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default East coast vs West coast

I am from Oregon. I was pretty confident we were winning the beer battle because of the great quantity and quality of craft brews in my neck of the woods.

However, I am in NC right now and I can find some pretty awesome brews here in the grocery store...much different than 5 years ago!

I have found some great beers that are rare on our side. Bell's two hearted ale, Dogfish 60 minute, and Hopsecutioner. Needless to say these are great beers, and would do very well in the major west coast markets.

Soooo. To those who have tried many east and west coast brews. Where do you stand. Is the East or the West leading the way.

I still lean left, but gotta say my only real logical criteria is the low cost of quality left coast brews, like Bridgeport hop Czar and SN Torpedo.

What do you think?

meh.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Considering there's 100 craft breweries in the state of michigan alone, I say midwest represent!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
teaser452
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, I have only spent maybe 3 months total in CA, and the rest of my life on the east coast, I sure did try a lot of beers in Cali.

I will say that East coast is better by far. I just don't like the sissy girly craft beers made on the west coast.

It's like that classic song says "spend a year in NYC, but leave before it makes you hard. spend a year in California, but leave before it makes you soft"

Old 01-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser452 View Post
Well, I have only spent maybe 3 months total in CA, and the rest of my life on the east coast, I sure did try a lot of beers in Cali.

I will say that East coast is better by far. I just don't like the sissy girly craft beers made on the west coast.

It's like that classic song says "spend a year in NYC, but leave before it makes you hard. spend a year in California, but leave before it makes you soft"
I tried not to be controversial in my original post...this is. You do know that women brew and drink beer right. In fact women are half of the population on the west coast.

Any suggestions of a beer he could try that wouldn't make him feel so effiminate?

meh.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
falconnuke
Recipes 

Every region and every state has some breweries producing phenomenal beer. For every Ommegang and Dogfish Head there's a Highland, a Sweetwater, and a Stone.

Some areas are struggling more than others (Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, for instance), but there's always potential for improvement in each state.

This type of discussion reminds me of all the arguments over which country makes better beer.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #6
teaser452
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopLife View Post
I tried not to be controversial in my original post...this is. You do know that women brew and drink beer right. In fact women are half of the population on the west coast.

Any suggestions of a beer he could try that wouldn't make him feel so effiminate?
well, wasn't trying to offend. Just trying to represent my east coast hommies!

3 out of the 4 football teams left are east coast. the west coast team, the 49r's are based in San Fran. I sent a few weeks in San Fran. My friends who lived there loved Steam Ale. I couldn't see it. I would rather have a boston Ale. But then, thankfully, the San Fran bars always seemed to have Boston ale on tap.

Last year, saw Steam ale in the store, and grabbed a six pack. Still don't like it. Different tastes for different coasts, I suppose.

I will say, Midwest has some great beers. Minnesota and the Twin cities have some great craft brews.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
Jay1
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've lived in NY for several years but Seattle has always been my home. IMO the West is best.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #8
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnuke View Post
This type of discussion reminds me of all the arguments over which country makes better beer.
Hmmm.... USA USA USA! Germans, belgians, and english can keep their beer. Although, I haven't found a good american lambic yet. Maybe we don't have enough monks.

Lets keep this discussion fun!

meh.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #9
falconnuke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser452 View Post
well, wasn't trying to offend. Just trying to represent my east coast hommies!

3 out of the 4 football teams left are east coast. the west coast team, the 49r's are based in San Fran. I sent a few weeks in San Fran. My friends who lived there loved Steam Ale. I couldn't see it. I would rather have a boston Ale. But then, thankfully, the San Fran bars always seemed to have Boston ale on tap.

Last year, saw Steam ale in the store, and grabbed a six pack. Still don't like it. Different tastes for different coasts, I suppose.

I will say, Midwest has some great beers. Minnesota and the Twin cities have some great craft brews.
So you're judging West Coast beers based off of one beer? Ok, so I've had Boston Lager. Thought it was pretty bad. By that argument, I can claim that Northeastern beers are all pretty bad. But of course, I do know better and some of my favorite beers are from the Northeast, just like some are from Oregon, others from Texas, etc.

And repping your bros in the NFL playoffs? Here's a better stat: 6 consecutive BCS Titles. SEC! SEC! SEC!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:31 AM   #10
teaser452
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnuke View Post
So you're judging West Coast beers based off of one beer? Ok, so I've had Boston Lager. Thought it was pretty bad. By that argument, I can claim that Northeastern beers are all pretty bad. But of course, I do know better and some of my favorite beers are from the Northeast, just like some are from Oregon, others from Texas, etc.

And repping your bros in the NFL playoffs? Here's a better stat: 6 consecutive BCS Titles. SEC! SEC! SEC!
It's a good point. You don't like Boston Ale.

I suspect, and this is without any science to back it up, just emperical observations, that tastes in beer around the country are affected by climate. I was making a generalization that West Coast beers tend to be light and fruity. East coast beers tend to be dark and thicker. I think much like wine, beer is a regional product.

Ultimately, drink what you like. jeez.

And the BCS is a joke. But that is off topic.

Quick Reply