Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > East coast beer trip!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
wverre1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default East coast beer trip!!!

A couple buddies and I are taking a road trip from Baton Rouge to Vermont drinking great local beer and we are looking for some input as to the breweries/ brewpubs to hit up/ avoid.

We are leaving June 23 and Will be going to NOLA, Pensacola, then ATL, Greenville, SC, Asheville, DC, Philly, and Middlebury, VT and everywhere in between. The return trip will take us by Niagara Falls and Cincinasty then Birmaingham before we return to the Red Stick. We have to be back by July 3rd and we chose these citys because they have been suggested or we have free places to crash but are somewhat flexible.

We are looking to get great local beer and drink with the best of em. Any input is more than welcome.

Thanks,
William

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Pisgah in black mtn, nc right outside of Asheville. I have found most of Asheville's breweries to be mediocre but Pisgah is pretty darn good and their tripel (Endless Summer, I think they call it?)is one of the best American "Belgians" I've ever had.

Speaking of belgians, if you're a fan, the basement of the Thirsty Monk in downtown A-ville is not to be missed and always good American craft brews on tap upstairs. Barley's Taproom has lots of local A-ville & SE beers on tap and pretty good pizza iirc. I enjoyed the barbecue place next door, too.

Sweetwater seems like an obvious one either in or near Atlanta (can't remember exactly where they are) and I would stop at Dogfish Head in DE. You may be looking for more locally/less nationally distributed stuff though. I highly recommend Blue Mountain Brewery in Afton, VA. A mere 8 miles from my home, I try to get out there at least once a week.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
DubBrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you are going from Niagara to Cincinnati then swing through Cleveland and check out Great Lakes and Market Garden. They are right next to each other. Then on your way out of town down 71 hit up Fat Heads.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: There are also some nice local brew pubs in Columbus, but if you have limited time stick with the Cleveland options starting with Great Lakes.

Primary: Robust Porter
Next Up: Flander's Red

http://twitter.com/Tom_Ayers
Untappd: DubBrew
BJCP Certified

Old 06-10-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Hops4life
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When you get to VT, you will need to head to Waterbury to a brewery called the Alchemist. They are brewing out of the cannery now, their pub/brewery was destroyed by the flood last year and are still in the process of rebuilding things.

But if you go to the cannery now you can find cans/tastings of Heady Topper, their flagship IIPA. It's worth the whole trip by itself IMO.

www.alchemistbrewery.com should be the website, check them out very cool operation.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I know you're not hitting Maine but once you get to the NE watch for brews from Maine Beer Company. They may only be available in the bottle. The Zoe & Peeper are excellent, I haven't had the others but I suspect they are great as well.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
k47k
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Theres a bunch between Philly and Middlebury, VT.

off the top of my head.

Defiant Brewery - (Saddle river, NJ i think, on the way)
Peekskill Brewery - Peekskill, NY (a little more out of your way)
Captain Lawrence - Pleasantville, NY (i think, a little more out of your way)
Newburgh Brewing Company - newburgh, NY (on the way, exit of I87)
... there is also two bars i know of in Newburgh that have a wide variety of localish craft beer on tap, Wherehouse and Golden Rail (where supertroopers was filmed)
Keegan Ales - Kingston, NY (on the way, exit of I87)
Theres a few in Albany NY area as well. Browns comes to mind.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
marker5a
Recipes 

Drinking and driving... Sounds like a great plan!

Old 06-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marker5a View Post
Drinking and driving... Sounds like a great plan!
No one said anything about drinking & driving.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
garbageman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Must go by Terrapin in Athens. Outside Atlanta. Laid back get togethers every evening on the weekend with live music. I think it's $10 but you get a tour, pint glass and 10 tickets for 10 beers to try. Ok to bring your dog and throw a frisbee.

Eat first as they pour them full.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Chris1272
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I assume you will start out on I10 Abita brewery is on the way Kiln MS is a short detour and you could see Lazy Magnolia brewery.

In Atlanta Check out Sweetwater brewery and Red Brick brewery. If you are looking for a pub there you cant go wrong with The porter or the Brick Store Pub. Five seasons brewing company has good food and good beer as well.

In Bham Good people brewing and Avondale brewing have tap rooms that are good to hit up, and there is a great beer bar called the J Clyde.

Quick Reply