Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Easiest type of beer to brew for your first batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Webs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Easiest type of beer to brew for your first batch

I am new to home brewing and I just recently bought a beginners home brewing kit. I was wondering what would be the easiest/best type of beer to brew for my first batch? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

An ale in the 1.040-1.055 SG range. No dry hopping or anything else added after the boil. Other than that brew what you like.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

What do you like? A pale ale will be easy to brew and the hops will mask common flaws. Many people try to make a really light, low bitterness ale for their first beer, but that is one of the hardest styles to get right. I agree with the suggestion to stay away from dry hopping for the first beer, but I disagree with boil additions. If you can work a timer then multiple boil hop additions aren't difficult.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Porter is a pretty forgiving style to brew, if you like those. I'm not going to claim it's easy to make a great one, but you almost have to try to make a really bad one.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

My first years ago was a brown ale. I still brew brown ales and milds on a regular basis, they finish quick and are nice to drink young. They also come in many types so style of brown ales can vary...

My second choice would be a Pale ale. This is just a fun style to tinker with, change a hop, change a yeast, change a specialty grain... fun!

Third would be a hefe. Get the yeast right on a hefe for the style of hefe you want and it's hard to go wrong. I like a big banana & clove thing going on in my hefe so wyeast 3068 is the way to go.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Do a light session ale so you don't pass out after a pint of a imperil you weren't expecting..lol

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 02-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
I agree with the suggestion to stay away from dry hopping for the first beer, but I disagree with boil additions. If you can work a timer then multiple boil hop additions aren't difficult.
I said after the boil. I agree that hop or any additions to the boil are pretty easy. Not that dry hopping or other post boil additions are hard, just that for a first brew I would go with something you can boil, dump in the fermenter and forget about for until it is time to bottle in 3 weeks. Something with a normalish gravity so you are not making a yeast starter. Basically something where you can focus on the boil with the fewest added on steps to cut down on the chances of something going wrong.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good on ya man! Too many times I see new homebrewers trying to make something like a Bourbon RIS with Cherry, Coffee, Chocolate, Vanilla, Cinnamon and Raisins. Then they come back with "beer tasted like gorilla poop". Good to start off with something fairly easy to get the process down, then you can make gorilla poop!

Kegged: Millenium Galaxy IPA, German Pilsner. Apricot Blonde Ale, ACE Witbier, ACE American Wheat.
Bottled: Smoked Red Rye, Old Tanglefoot Barleywine, Tripel, Dubbel, American Farmhouse Ale

FizorZed Likes This 
Old 02-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
MatthewHall
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did a pretty simple IPA to start with. It came out great, and it gave me the confidence to continue. Do something small, but something that you can maybe build upon in future brews... something that you can make your own in the future. Good luck! Keep us updated!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
Acoma
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If you post what styles of beer you prefer it may be easier to narrow down the difficulty/recommendations.

Quick Reply