Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dumped my first batch today :(

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
AmandaK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I agree. I'd be disappointed, though. That's what I'm saying. And I'm sure you would be too.
I wasn't dissapointed when I dumped 40 bottles of diacytel laden brown ale a few months ago. It was so bad I could barely stand to smell them as I dumped them out.

Hey, I got label free bottles for my next batch and I learned how to keep diacytel out of my beer. Win-win.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3732 Times on 2295 Posts
Likes Given: 3231

If you think making bad beer is a win, there are some easy ways to ensure it turns out that way

Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
If you think making bad beer is a win, there are some easy ways to ensure it turns out that way
That's not what I meant. I meant that learning how NOT to make bad beer is a win.
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 11-18-2010, 01:26 AM   #14
TheDom

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm with you man, I've got a case of an octoberfest ale that's been in bottles for about a year and has tasted like ass the entire time. I'll probably keep a 6er laying around for a few years to give Revvy a chance to be right about never ever ever dumping beer.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:29 AM   #15
nugsfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hey guys. I'm new to homebrewing and on my second batch I found a recipe for a Tommy knocker maple nut brown ale. It smelled really good when I put it in the primary fermented. However, after a couple days the smell almost made me throw up. I just transferred it into the secondary about an hour ago and when I smelled it it had the worst smell ever! It was like really gassy/ vinegary. Anybody have problems like this? My first batch, a pale ale never smelled bad. Will this go away? I wasn't sure if i had an infection and should just pour it out.??? I'm new to this website and wasn't sure where to post this. Also i checked the gravity and OG was 1.052 and now its down to 1.006 and still has another week in the secondary. Any suggestions?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:30 AM   #16
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I come from Quebec. We bathe in maple syrup but even the thought of adding a pound of it to anything makes me cringe. Sorry to hear about your loss...

Old 11-18-2010, 01:30 AM   #17
gicts
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I am about to do the same thing with a concoction that I made and let the airlock dry up. There is a layer of mold on the top

Old 11-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #18
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom View Post
I'm with you man, I've got a case of an octoberfest ale that's been in bottles for about a year and has tasted like ass the entire time. I'll probably keep a 6er laying around for a few years to give Revvy a chance to be right about never ever ever dumping beer.
LMFAO.. Cool wrap-up.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #19
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugsfan View Post
Hey guys. I'm new to homebrewing and on my second batch I found a recipe for a Tommy knocker maple nut brown ale. It smelled really good when I put it in the primary fermented. However, after a couple days the smell almost made me throw up. I just transferred it into the secondary about an hour ago and when I smelled it it had the worst smell ever! It was like really gassy/ vinegary. Anybody have problems like this? My first batch, a pale ale never smelled bad. Will this go away? I wasn't sure if i had an infection and should just pour it out.??? I'm new to this website and wasn't sure where to post this. Also i checked the gravity and OG was 1.052 and now its down to 1.006 and still has another week in the secondary. Any suggestions?
Even in the midst of this thread, I would still say bottle it up and let it sit and condition for three weeks at least before you make any rash decisions. Although people here have been saying that they've dumped batches, it seems like the minimum time was 3 months before doing so.

USUALLY, beer gets better with time and I would suggest that before passing judgment on your newborn brew, let it grow up in bottles a bit before you kick it out of the house.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #20
nugsfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well you were right with not dumping it. It actually has turned in to one of the best beers yet! It was a Tommy Knocker Maple Nut Brown Ale. I guess you should never dump anything. Always give it a chance!

Quick Reply