Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dump or not to Dump that is the ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Mainebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Dump or not to Dump that is the ?

Well it has been 2 weeks and it has fermented out @1.010 from starting @ 1.059 1 5 gal carboy is @ 1.020 and tasted descent the other with the wlp 001 I pitched with no starter and was a washed yeast tasted awful and has a medicine like after taste. Should I DUMP it or let it be for a while or just continue to keg or bottle it and let it sit for a month or 2. I believe it was due to lack of not enough yeast cells at the beginning and it justed barely lagged on. There still is krausen on both that has not fallen yet but it doesn't look like it is going to. I have plent of corni's so I might just throw this in one and prime with sugar and put it away!

Any Ideas

Have a porter on tap, and 10 gal of a ipa going to work. in the mean time I sip beers from all over from great beer trades. Have a ghoulship in the fridge now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
GLWIII
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I had two batches that tasted like dante's third level of hell even after months in the bottle. Guess what? They got worse after a few more. So, I dumped them. At least I knew that they would not improve. Moral of the story young grasshopper - keg/bottle it and see what happens. Otherwise, you will never know whether you tossed a batch that just might turn out great.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Mainebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks My thoughts as well

Have a porter on tap, and 10 gal of a ipa going to work. in the mean time I sip beers from all over from great beer trades. Have a ghoulship in the fridge now!!

Old 02-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

You;ll find more stories of success to waiting on dumpingthe beer you spent your time and money on ...At least the previous poster WAITED 2 MONTHS...I usggest you read the stories in here BEFORE you commit beer abortion..yours has only been 2 weeks...see it through, bottle it, let it condition and you may be sureprised...you have a greater than 50 percent chance of success if you wait a bit...100% chance of failure if you prematurely dump it...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

You haven't even bottled your beer yet...a WHOLE bunch of process happen in there to condition the beer...you should judge a beer as to how it tastes while it's in the fermentaer...it's still missing some "ingredients" like carbonation....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 02-21-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
Mainebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah Rev, I am little pi#$ed that I did not have enough yeast ready to go for that 10 gal batch. I knew when I pitched the WLP001 with out a start, and washed I may be in trouble. On the upside the other 5 gal same brew tastes pretty good green!

Old 02-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

well I'd stick it in a corny like you said and stash it in a dark corner for a few months.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply