Dump Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Course of action?

• Just be patient!

• Dump both!

• Dump keg 1! (Used to taste like fruit, now tastes like cardboard and cough syrup)

• Dump keg 2! (Used to taste outstanding, now tastes like band-aids and sulfur)

• Buy a new keg!

• Buy 2 new kegs!

• Something else! (Answer below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
I've got 2 lagers on gas that are undrinkable. Both have been at ~32 degrees for 2 months now.

The first one, I messed up when pitching the starter. It was a HUGE starter, but I forgot to decant it. As a result it has always tasted fruity. Now that some time has passed, however, it tastes less fruity and more like cardboard and cough syrup.

The second one tasted outstanding, until it hit the keg, when it took on this harsh bitterness that's either rubbery or like band-aids. I had assumed the defect is sulfur, which needs time to lager out, but it also tastes and smells very similar to the smell of CO2 coming straight out of the tank, or when I pull the relief valves. Two months in, and the harsh sulfury/bitter/band-aid taste has not "aged" or "lagered" out. Two weeks ago I thought maybe it had smoothed out a bit, but now I'm not sure.

So here's my dilemma. These two kegs are holding back my pipeline. I don't want to dump, just in case they do manage to improve. However, as long as the kegs are occupied, I can't put anything new on tap until the third keg kicks.

Is it time to dump? Or should I just buy two new kegs, and set these two aside?

why don't you brew ale until you perfect you technique. lager is a big time investment for something that you going to end up dumping in the end.

If it tastes like crap, dump it. I have had a couple of brews that didn't taste good. About 50% got better with age. The others didn't and were dumped. If you can afford to buy new kegs, do that. Set them aside for a couple more months. If they don't taste better, dume them.

Cardboard is oxidation, which doesn't age out, so that's a dump. Transfer the other one to a carboy, let it offgas for a few months, and see what you get. Those tastes could fade. . .

You better drink that beer. You wanted it. You made it. Now you have it. Drink it! Drink it right now!:D
Just kidding. It's your beer, do as you will

Re: Letting it offgas, if the issue is the dissolved chemicals having nowhere to go, how is it that people are able to lager in bottles after carbing then? Also, it's pretty well carbed now. Will maintaining a siphon be a problem with all those bubbles?

I also saw a thread on here a while back where someone had rigged up the gas QD with an airlock. I think it was just a couple inches of tubing, and something to hold the airlock vertical. Would save me from trying to rack a carbonated beverage...

Back