Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > dumb mistake cost me a brewday

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
stevea1210
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default dumb mistake cost me a brewday

So I had a two brew weekend planned. Yesterday was haus pale ale. Day went great, hit my temps and og dead on. couldn't have gone much better.

This morning was SUPPOSED to be cream of three crops day. I re read the recipe, dbl checked beer smith, and then it hit me. I need 2 lbs of flaked maize. I know I only bought one bag at LHBS. OH crap, I hope it was a 2 lb bag. One mad dash to the basement later, and I hang my head in forgetful shame. I only bought one lb.

I know I COULD still make it, but I haven't brewed this recipe before, and want the 1st time to be as expected. LHBS is open, but I can't justify a 45 minute drive each way to buy just some corn.

Oh well, at least I had one great brew day this weekend.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

WAAAAAT?
This isn't 45 mintes JUST for corn. It's an hour and a half to build 5 gallons of scrumptious beer....and if you're worried about that little purchase...make today a double brew day...get more ingredients! maybe a new bucket. You can pull this out yet!

Old 10-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Chupacabras
Recipes 

Modify the recipe to fit the ingredients you have. I always make up the recipes for my beers, and they never disappoint.

Here's a plug for my boss. Check Brewery Lane out if you live in Atlantic Canada.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
hammacks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd just brew it..using an extra pound of 2-row or rice.

but I get what you're saying.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I'd run the numbers in brewing software, you will probably notice that the lack of a pound of flaked maze would not alter the beer all that much, since it's relatively small part of the grain bill....

Or you could go to the grocery store and get some instant grits to use instead. If you don't get the instant kind you'd have to do a cereal mash beforehand. But even Palmer says that grits are a usable substitute for brewer's flaked maize...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But even Palmer says that grits are a usable substitute for brewer's flaked maize...
That I did not know. Grocery store is MUCH closer than LHBS. I changed the recipe to 1 lb maize, 1 lb grits, and the gravity and srm stayed the same.

This is one more reason why I love this site. My brew day may just be saved after all. Thanks to all for the responses.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Old 10-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea1210 View Post
That I did not know. Grocery store is MUCH closer than LHBS. I changed the recipe to 1 lb maize, 1 lb grits, and the gravity and srm stayed the same.

This is one more reason why I love this site. My brew day may just be saved after all. Thanks to all for the responses.
After you get back, or before hand, do a search on here to make sure what the ratio for the substitution is, if it's pound for pound or not, and any other tips before you get started....I've never done it before, I just remembered discussions about it awhile back.

Good to know we saved your brewday.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You can also use popcorn (popped) as I understand it. I don't actually brew much with corn, but the question came up on rec.crafts.brewing recently. <edit> - yes, of course, as mentioned below dry, plain popcorn - use a hot-air popper so that it does not have oil involved with it.

Re-filling the pipeline - got a lot of brewing to do.

Reason: hot-air popper

Old 10-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecnerwal View Post
You can also use popcorn (popped) as I understand it. I don't actually brew much with corn, but the question came up on rec.crafts.brewing recently.
Unflavoured and sans oil of course.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 10-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Man, I love a happy ending! This site has provided more happy endings than That woman who works at the gas station three blocks away from me!

I'm sooooo proud of you guys!

Quick Reply