Originally Posted by crum
I think I screwed up big time here. I got the wort already and was going to rehydrate some dry east from a kit of coopers. But when I rehydrated the yeast the water was almost at boiling temperature. I know that I have killed the yeast but wanted to ask here to make sure. This was all done last night so I think I am still good to pitch again. I have a vial of some irish ale yeast.
If I did not kill it and should wait it out please let me know. Thanks.
This will teach me for brewing half a sleep and a couple home brews under my belt.
If your brew was put into a sterilised container and kept covered you should be OK - If there is no visible fermentation by now then go ahead and re pitch with fresh yeast. Your brew should be fine.
If there are signs of fermentation then smell should tell you whether your original yeast has survived or whether you have an unwanted wild yeast at work. If it doesn't smell right you probably have a wild yeast and I'm afraid the brew is probably only fit to be thrown away.
Good luck, hope it turns out OK.