Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dry Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #21
WhiteDog87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I guess I will be the first on this post to come out and say I am not a fan of dry yeast. Ever since I started using liquid yeast I have noticed the quality of my beers has gotten much better with regards to flavor. I also have a couple buddies who use dry yeast and their beers always have a specific character that is produced by the dry yeast that I don't care for at all. It tends to be drier and has a bit of astringency to it. However If you are looking for cheap and easy, then dry yeast can't be beat, though IMHO the quality of the beer will not be as good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #22
scottyg354
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

All I have been using. I use EC-1118 when I am making """"Fuel Alcohol"""" and that stuff is fantastic. Not for beer, but for fermenting almost every last bit of sugar out of something. US-05 is great though. I just bought a bunch of packs and have them in the ferm chamber. I am actually thinking of repitching on my cream ale cake again. I have actually never repitched. Do I just get all the trub off the cake, add my wort and stir? Do you need to stir?

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #23
dlaramie08
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've used t-58 in a saison and a wit. The saison was acceptable, but not quite great. The wit was pretty good. It's not a bad yeast for a passable Belgian. I'm excited to try belle saison though.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #24
JiBiru8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like dry yeast. Though I kind of have to, as getting liquid yeast here is rather difficult.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #25
pohldogg
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog87 View Post
However If you are looking for cheap and easy, then dry yeast can't be beat, though IMHO the quality of the beer will not be as good.
Stuise does a pretty good job with dry yeast.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #26
meis1212
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg354
All I have been using. I use EC-1118 when I am making """"Fuel Alcohol"""" and that stuff is fantastic. Not for beer, but for fermenting almost every last bit of sugar out of something. US-05 is great though. I just bought a bunch of packs and have them in the ferm chamber. I am actually thinking of repitching on my cream ale cake again. I have actually never repitched. Do I just get all the trub off the cake, add my wort and stir? Do you need to stir?
Just follow the directions here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yea...strated-41768/

Worked really well for me on my last batch.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 AM   #27
scottyg354
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by meis1212 View Post
Just follow the directions here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yea...strated-41768/

Worked really well for me on my last batch.
No what I'm looking to do is just keep repitching. Baiscally, rack my finished beer into a keg a re rack some new wort onto the yeast cake. I want to keep a cream ale a hefe always goings in my pipeline so I have some easy drinkers. My theroy is if I can get 4-5 batchs out of a yeast cake, that would be pretty nice.

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Old 01-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #28
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I like dry yeast for styles that are covered for dry, and that I can make a spur of the moment brew. I also like liquid yeasts for the variety. So I use both, it just depends on the particular brew and whether I planned in advance (starter).

Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #29
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg354 View Post
No what I'm looking to do is just keep repitching. Baiscally, rack my finished beer into a keg a re rack some new wort onto the yeast cake. I want to keep a cream ale a hefe always goings in my pipeline so I have some easy drinkers. My theroy is if I can get 4-5 batchs out of a yeast cake, that would be pretty nice.
Yes, exactly as you suggest is good. I make sure to swirl it up good prior to adding new wort - no need to aerate when pitching on a cake. Also, best would be to remove half of the yeast cake prior to adding your new wort to keep from overpitching. Save it in a sterile canning jar with little headspace and use it for a new batch.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #30
meis1212
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wouldn't you just be adding your beer onto a bunch of dead yeast and proteins, along with the good, live yeast? I get a good amount of cake at the bottom of my fermenter after one batch. I could only imagine that after two or three batches repitched into the same fermenter that cake would take up at least a quarter of my fermenter. If you don't aerate, your yeast wont reproduce. Are you sure there is enough live, active yeast in the cake to fully ferment the wort?

Quick Reply