Dry hopping questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle83

Reaction score
Can you dry hop as the beer is carbonating?
I've got a NB Houblonmonstre Tripel IPA in secondary ready to go into keg.
FERMENTABLES
3.15 lbs Pilsen malt syrup (60 min)
6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup late addition (15 min)
2 lbs Corn or Priming sugar late addition (0 min)
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
--1 oz Yakima Magnum (60 min)
1 oz Saaz (15 min)
1 oz Cascade (15 min)
1 oz Saaz (5 min)
--1 oz Cascade (5 min)
There is no dry hopping (and I'm a hop head). I have an extra ounce of Simcoe. Would it be okay to dry hop with it, or would it not fit in well?

go for it. and you can just toss them in the secondary or i've heard of others dry hopping in the keg. you will probably want to put it in a sanitized strainer bag or steel ball or something if doing it in the keg to minimize the 'stuff'. but if you put them in the secondary, you can wait for them to drop out and then keg.

you can use simcoe, and you can hop in the keg. put it in a mesh bag of some sort and toss it into the keg. lots of folks do this.

I always dry hop in the keg. Simcoe is my favorite dry hop, however I don't think I would dry hop that with Simcoe (could overpower the other hops), especially before drinking a few. Carb it up as is and then dry hop if you think it needs it.

So technically I could carb it, see how it tastes, then if I still want to dry hop it, dry hop the already carbed beer?

Nevermind samc already answered my question. Samc how much Simcoe is too much for dry hopping? I'm making Aubie Stout's Sweetwater IPA clone, and was thinking about adding a little more hop. After I ordered I got scared I may overdo it. That is why I have the extra ounce, and am trying to find a way to use it.
10.5 lbs 2 row
1.0 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Crystal 80
0.5 lbs Wheat Malt

.5 oz Simcoe FWH
.5 oz Simcoe 60 min
.5 oz Simcoe 30 min
.5 oz Simcoe 15 min
.5 oz Simcoe 10 min
1.5 oz Simcoe Dry Hop

i dry hop in the keg all the time.

put the hops in a hopbag/paintstrainer bag and tie it off. then take some sanitized dental floss (definitely unflavored) and tie it tightly around the knot in the hopbag. then tie the other end of the dental floss onto the handle of the keg so that the hops are suspended midway down the keg. fill and seal the keg as usual and the dental floss won't affect the seal. then it is easy to take the hops out after a week or so dry-hopping.

go ahead and do it. that's the beauty of this hobby, you can do what you want to your beer. I love simcoe. hell my last pale ale I made got an extra ounce of northern brewer in dry hopping simply because it was sitting around and I had no idea what I would use an ounce of northern brewer in in the future. and it turned out great! where is the fun in the hobby if you aren't experimenting.

Back