Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dry Hopping (leaf or pettet)? and oxygen.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
ColeR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 158
Liked 29 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Dry Hopping (leaf or pettet)? and oxygen.

OK I love my IPAs but I always seem to get knocked when judged for oxidized off flavor.

when I currently dry hop I put my leaf hops in a bag, hang it in my keg and then fill keg with Co2 to push out the air, then slowly fill keg with beer from carboy.

now I do it this way to let the Co2 replace the air in the hop leafs. but I am having 2nd thoughts on this.

should I be using pellets to dry hop with? no oxygen in pellets. and do the same procedure.

How do you dry hop and not get the oxidized off flavor?

CR-

__________________
ColeR is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
pcollins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 551
Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

It could be two separate questions so on that front I'll give two separate answers.

I always use pellets. I just have a thing against whole leaf hops. There is much that I can say about it but in short, whole leaf hops are THE reason why pellets were invented. LOL

The oxidized off flavours could be coming from before you dry hop. Have you sampled the beer before and after to be sure? Have you tried doing the transfer without dry hopping to see if it's just process vs ingredients? I would be more inclined to look in that direction rather than the hops.

__________________
pcollins is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
ColeR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 158
Liked 29 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcollins View Post
The oxidized off flavours could be coming from before you dry hop. Have you sampled the beer before and after to be sure? Have you tried doing the transfer without dry hopping to see if it's just process vs ingredients? I would be more inclined to look in that direction rather than the hops.
I thought about that, but on this last IIPA i made, i made sure not to splash the Wort above 90deg and tried to follow what others had said about how to correct this.

I wish Beersmith would separate out hops being called out as leaf or pellet.
__________________
ColeR is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
pcollins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 551
Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Ah HSA. I wouldn't worry about it. You can get oxidized flavours from other places.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about BeerSmith. I use it and there are pull down menus for the hops to indicate if they are pellet or whole. Is that what you mean?

__________________
pcollins is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
ColeR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 158
Liked 29 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcollins View Post
Ah HSA. I wouldn't worry about it. You can get oxidized flavours from other places.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about BeerSmith. I use it and there are pull down menus for the hops to indicate if they are pellet or whole. Is that what you mean?
Let me clarify, when i add everything to the "shopping list" it doesn't separate the hops, it just lumps them all together.
__________________
ColeR is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,832
Liked 4926 Times on 3572 Posts
Likes Given: 992

Default

I successfully use whole hop cones in the keg all the time, so I am certain that isn't where your oxidation is coming from. You could just drop the hops bag into the keg, and rack the beer onto it (that's what I do).

I really think the oxidation is coming from someplace else. Either too long in a fermenter with too much headspace, oxygen update when racking to the keg, bottling from the keg with too much foaming, etc. There is some contact with oxygen in the finished beer somewhere, but it doesn't seem to be related to hops that I can see.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
ColeR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 158
Liked 29 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I successfully use whole hop cones in the keg all the time, so I am certain that isn't where your oxidation is coming from. You could just drop the hops bag into the keg, and rack the beer onto it (that's what I do).

I really think the oxidation is coming from someplace else. Either too long in a fermenter with too much headspace, oxygen update when racking to the keg, bottling from the keg with too much foaming, etc. There is some contact with oxygen in the finished beer somewhere, but it doesn't seem to be related to hops that I can see.
cool thanks,

MMm bottling from the keg, maybe time to get a beer gun...
__________________
ColeR is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 4,095
Liked 121 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeR View Post
cool thanks,

MMm bottling from the keg, maybe time to get a beer gun...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-n...eer-gun-24678/
__________________
dcp27 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Cyclman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 4,692
Liked 445 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Default

Do you secondary, this is one point that oxidation is common.

__________________

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Cyclman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dry hopping whole leaf brantley Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 03-27-2013 06:09 PM
dry-hopping with whole leaf motobrewer General Techniques 4 03-20-2011 06:19 PM
Whole Leaf Dry Hopping WrongCoastBrewery General Techniques 6 12-21-2010 08:49 PM
Dry hopping w/ whole leaf scrambledegg81 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 10-11-2009 11:54 PM
Whole Leaf Hopping Monghetti Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 04-28-2009 02:31 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS