Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dry Hopping in a Keg using pellets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalewang View Post
how tight is the weave on the link you provided (I assume it's tighter than a paint strainer)? What's the material made from?
I have no idea. Maybe nylon? It's about the same weave as the paint strainers, but much more sturdy. Those paint strainers are flimsy and tear easy. This seems "thicker" but not thicker due to the material. (That makes no sense, I guess, but not "thick" like tighter weave, "thicker" like "sturdier"). I drink, you know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...p-steeper.html

This is what I use for dry hopping. Works well - just fill with hops and drop in the keg.
I've used that with pellet hops, and it didn't really contain them. It works great for leaf hops, though. When I used that for pellet hops, enough escaped to clog my diptube/poppit (see post above!) and I never tried again.

Have you used that for pellet hops?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #23
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I dry hop in my serving keg with pellet hops often. My solution works well and is fairly cheap.

-Get a pair of new women's pantyhose from the dollar store. Take one out and rince it REALLY good under the facet. I get the beige ones as I fear bleach in the white and dye in the black.

-Get clear glass marbles. I stick them in a cup with water and run them in the microwave for 5 minutes. I use about 8-10.

-Next dunk the panyhose in your starsan bucket and hold them open while CAREFULLY pouring the marbles into the pantyhose. and submerge the whole thing.

-Open keg and suspend the pantyhose and hold the top open. I normally bunch/roll the pantyhose up so there is not a lot of wet material for the hop dust to stick to. Add in your hops, wood chips or what have you and then tie the pantyhose shut with a simple knot that will allow a small amount of room to expand vertically. Cut the pantyhose just above the knot. lay keg on side and drop the sack into it, insert spear/seal the keg, then stand it up slowly. (this stops the marbles from slamming into the kegs bottom and if you serve from a sanke from getting pinched by the spear.) Purge keg w/ co2 and fill as normal.

I have never had ANY issues with this.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #24
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 693 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I've used that with pellet hops, and it didn't really contain them. It works great for leaf hops, though. When I used that for pellet hops, enough escaped to clog my diptube/poppit (see post above!) and I never tried again.

Have you used that for pellet hops?
Hey Yooper, yes I've used this several times with pellet hops without any issues. However, the clasp on this doesn't seem to be great - I usually have to fiddle with it to get it close securely. Other than that though, I haven't had any problem with it. I'll have to try it with whole leaf hops some time to see how it performs.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
lagavulin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use pellets exclusively when dry hopping.

I dry hop in the fermenter, cold crash for a couple days and then pour off the first pint or two.

Then I rack on top of gelatin into a serving keg.

I keep the keg at about 35 F for 2 days and then move it to the kegerator.

After a couple days I pour off the first pint or two.

Very minimal hop particles for the first few pints and then none for the remainder of the keg.

Cheers!

Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #26
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I use the same Northern Brewer bag Yooper recommended. It contains 99% of the pellet hop debris just fine. Add 3-4 santized marbles and it will fall to the bottom of the keg. I either dry hop at room temp for 10 days if the beer gets secondaried or dry hop in the keg for the duration. Because the keg is chilled you don't get to the vegatative grassy taste, at least not in the 3-6 weeks it takes to kick the keg.

That said, I still prefer leaf hops for dry hopping. Sometimes my supplier is out though, so pellets it is.

Primary #1: Hidden Lake Nut Brown #2: Apple Cider
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale, Orange Pale Ale IV
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: 2H IPA III

Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Do you have any probems with the bag clogging the end of the tube if you weigh it down? Do you do the zip tie trick to secure it to the tube?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #28
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I've dry hopped in keg 4 or 5 times with the bag. I just throw it in with the marbles. No clogs yet (fingers crossed). Speaking of which I'd like to get my bag back, so maybe its time to kick the keg of pale ale.

Primary #1: Hidden Lake Nut Brown #2: Apple Cider
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale, Orange Pale Ale IV
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: 2H IPA III

Quick Reply