Dry Hopping and Hop Sediment in bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheffriz

Reaction score
I did my first dry on my last brew an American Pale Ale. It tastes fantastic, but i had an awful time trying to keep the hops from transferring to the bottling bucket and subsequently to the a few of the bottles. I would prefer not to use a hops bag because i am using carboys for all fermentation stages, and trying to stuff the bag into the carboy just screams risk of contamination do to excessive handling. I have seen mention that cold crashing would cause the hops sediment to go to the bottom of the fermentation vessel. Assuming that this will work for someone who bottles beer instead of kegging, what is the proper procedure.

I don't truly "cold crash" beers, and don't use hop bags either for dry hopping. If a few particles get into the bottles it's not a big deal. Any particles that make it into the bottle will settle with the yeast as it carbs up. Then when you pour the beer in your glass just watch to leave that bottom sediment behind.

Put a sanitized 1 gal. paint strainer bag on the end of your outlet hose and lay it in the bottom of your bottling bucket when you rack over on bottle day. Zero particles.

I do not cold crash or use a carboy for dry hopping. I found the best way for me is to use a bottling bucket with airlock for secondary, then use strain bags with hops in it. This way I can use excessive amounts, as I often do. If you are worried about sanitization, a few squirts of isopropral on the bags wont hurt anything.

Back