Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dry Hopping and Hop Sediment in bottle.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
cheffriz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Hopping and Hop Sediment in bottle.

I did my first dry on my last brew an American Pale Ale. It tastes fantastic, but i had an awful time trying to keep the hops from transferring to the bottling bucket and subsequently to the a few of the bottles. I would prefer not to use a hops bag because i am using carboys for all fermentation stages, and trying to stuff the bag into the carboy just screams risk of contamination do to excessive handling. I have seen mention that cold crashing would cause the hops sediment to go to the bottom of the fermentation vessel. Assuming that this will work for someone who bottles beer instead of kegging, what is the proper procedure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't truly "cold crash" beers, and don't use hop bags either for dry hopping. If a few particles get into the bottles it's not a big deal. Any particles that make it into the bottle will settle with the yeast as it carbs up. Then when you pour the beer in your glass just watch to leave that bottom sediment behind.

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 03-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
wolverinebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Put a sanitized 1 gal. paint strainer bag on the end of your outlet hose and lay it in the bottom of your bottling bucket when you rack over on bottle day. Zero particles.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Wheezer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do not cold crash or use a carboy for dry hopping. I found the best way for me is to use a bottling bucket with airlock for secondary, then use strain bags with hops in it. This way I can use excessive amounts, as I often do. If you are worried about sanitization, a few squirts of isopropral on the bags wont hurt anything.

Quick Reply