Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dry "hopping" with flaked barley

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
I_Brew_Drunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Dry "hopping" with flaked barley

I brewed an Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale clone 6 days ago but I forgot to add the flaked barley ( http://hopville.com/recipe/70437 ). I could be totally wrong but I feel like this is what gives this beer its creamy-ness. Can I just add this into the secondary when I transfer (possibly after boiling/pasteurizing it beforehand), or add a "wort" made using only the flaked barley+water to my secondary (this would also help add volume to reduce headspace in my secondary)? Would this ruin the whole point of secondary by adding additional fermentables? Or would this be completely pointless and not worth the risk of contamination? Thanks

Also, have any of you tried a clone of this (that isn't the one I listed) that turned out to be amazing? I'd definitely like to recreate this beer as it's definitely my favorite amber on the market.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Well, you're right about the mouthfeel that flaked barley imparts, but adding/steeping isn't going to get you there. If you feel an absolute need to use it, you'll need to mash it in a small pot (150-160 for half an hour at least) with an equal amount of base malt (2-row, pils, vienna, or light munich should work), boil that wort and add it to your fermentor. You will definitely get more fermentation as you'll be adding sugar, and more sediment will collect in your fermentor but that's no big deal. Most people on this forum don't use a secondary anyway, as leaving the beer in primary for the same amount of time is simpler and the beer clears in exactly the same way.

That said, the beer will probably be tasty even without it, but it's doable.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply