Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dry Hopping an Already Kegged Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Dry Hopping an Already Kegged Beer?

A couple months ago I brewed a Maibock and mashed it at too high a temp -- too many unfermentable sugars left it at 1.20 (or so) after weeks of fermentation.

The taste is OK but is too sweet for me. I think if I added more hops to the keg that I might end up with a product that is more palatable.

Any thoughts on whether this is terribly ill advised? I know that exposing my beer to oxygen ain't gonna help but if I just open, toss in my hops in bags, and then repressurize I think the damage can only be so bad.

Also, any thoughts on hops? I am thinking of doing something that is toward an IPA hopping so Centenniel, etc.

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I may be completely wrong, but I don't think that dry hopping is going to do much for balancing out the sweetness of your beer. You should get some aroma from it, but I don't know that you'll get much else.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1935 Times on 1197 Posts
Likes Given: 2752

Is it at 1.20 or 1.020?

I wouldn't be to concerned about adding O2, depressurize your keg lift lid and gently drop in the hops repressurize with CO2.

But as Homebrewdad sad probably won't do much for the sweetness, the bittering comes from the boil.

Maybe you could brew a dry beer and blend with this?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

You could make a hopped tea, boil hops in a couple cups of water for 60 minutes. This will give you the bitterness you are looking for to balance the sweetness. Cool down and add to the keg. Additional dryhopping would then be optional but encouraged!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

How do you like sour beers? A Brett culture should bring it down some more points. Bacteria is another option.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 02-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
mthompson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
You could make a hopped tea, boil hops in a couple cups of water for 60 minutes. This will give you the bitterness you are looking for to balance the sweetness. Cool down and add to the keg. Additional dryhopping would then be optional but encouraged!
Just did this last week. Kegged up a pale ale, and the regulator failed and carbed the beer to 130psi +. Kinda scary because the co2 tank was pretty new, and the corny keg never failed...not sure how high the psi actually was inside, but corny kegs are supposed to fail safe at 130psi.

Anyway, after two weeks of slowly bleeding of the pressure, along with all the hops flavor/bitterness, we were left with no detectable hops in the beer. So, I went to the freezer found a bunch of hops and boiled them in a few cups of water for 15 minutes, popped the keg open and dumped the cooled/strained hop tea into the keg. Filled with co2, and purged it good....little swirling of the keg and a few hours on the gas...she was quite drinkable again.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I dry hop in the keg frequently. Just add the hops to a bag. Add a couple of sanitized weights and toss them in. When I'm ready to remove them I just fish them out with a sanitized long handled spoon.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There will be no damage to your beer if you dryhop in keg. In fact that is the only way I dry hop, right in keg with great results. But you should think twice before dry hopping Maibock. Last summer I dryhopped my 8.5% Maibock with 0.25 oz of each Simcoe, Amarillo and Centennial and its basically ruined the beer. My friends like it, but I totally didn't. It was rasiny, piney and grassy. Very weird combination, particulary for maibock

Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

These are all great responses. Yes, it is at 1.020 - 1.2 would be ridonkulous!

Looks like going sour (an idea I like and had not considered) and brewing a hop tea are my main options (as well as the third option of "do nothing".)

With regard to the brett, I have never used it before. I am assuming it is Wyeast 5112 (Brettanomyces bruxellensis.) Once that hits my keg won't it contaminate it permanently? I have heard others talk about Brett as if it can contaminate everything but glass.

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
How do you like sour beers? A Brett culture should bring it down some more points. Bacteria is another option.
Brett doesn't produce appreciable sourness, bacteria do.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Quick Reply