Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dry Hop in keg or bucket and how long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
m1k3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Monday, Dec. 17 - I packaged the beer as planned.

5 gallons that were not dry hopped - went into a keg. a hop sack with the 2oz of dry hops and a 1/2 SS hose barb adapter (for weight) were suspended by dental floss in the keg. the keg was put on tap. 37F

The other 5 gallons, that did get dry hopped at the end of primary went into 8 - .5gallon (2 liter) growlers. The growlers were primed with 2.1oz of corn sugar and 1.7oz of cane sugar (I ran out of corn sugar).

Sunday, Dec. 22 - I discovered one growler had exploded. I always tempt fate and mix the sugar directly into the beer when botteling. Maybe at the cooler temperatures, it did not dissolve completely. I have use these growlers with the swing top lids and have had great success. So, I don't blame the bottle. I usually prime at a rate of 1oz corn sugar per gallon with no problem. Maybe the cane sugar was the issue.

Anyway not to derail my own tread but let me know what you think.

I put the three remaining growlers from that box in the fridge. Tasting notes to follow in the next day or two.

The other box has 3 growlers still at room temp (in the closet). I'll see if there are any more explosions. (I don't expect there will be after a week.)

tap 1 - Dark Red Ale (US-05)
tap 2 - air
tap 3 - Dark Red Ale (T-58)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4773 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
Monday, Dec. 17 - I packaged the beer as planned.

5 gallons that were not dry hopped - went into a keg. a hop sack with the 2oz of dry hops and a 1/2 SS hose barb adapter (for weight) were suspended by dental floss in the keg. the keg was put on tap. 37F

The other 5 gallons, that did get dry hopped at the end of primary went into 8 - .5gallon (2 liter) growlers. The growlers were primed with 2.1oz of corn sugar and 1.7oz of cane sugar (I ran out of corn sugar).

Sunday, Dec. 22 - I discovered one growler had exploded. I always tempt fate and mix the sugar directly into the beer when botteling. Maybe at the cooler temperatures, it did not dissolve completely. I have use these growlers with the swing top lids and have had great success. So, I don't blame the bottle. I usually prime at a rate of 1oz corn sugar per gallon with no problem. Maybe the cane sugar was the issue.

Anyway not to derail my own tread but let me know what you think.

I put the three remaining growlers from that box in the fridge. Tasting notes to follow in the next day or two.

The other box has 3 growlers still at room temp (in the closet). I'll see if there are any more explosions. (I don't expect there will be after a week.)
Growlers are NOT meant to be used for the pressure created during carbonation, and should not be used for bottling. They are meant to briefly store already carbonated beer. Please keep the growlers in a very safe place, even in the fridge, and be extremely careful when opening!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
m1k3
Brew Setups
Recipes 

So, for Christmas Eve I served a growler of the IPA, it was ready.
The IPA on tap is just coming around. It started to taste pretty good last night.

People said the IPA was quite good. (Although my sister said it smelled like a wet dog. I corrected her, everyone knows Citra smells like Cat Pee. hehe)

I also gave away two growlers.

For the record the one that exploded was this one:
http://www.sierranevadagiftshop.com/...r-growler.html

The Sierra Nevada ones appear to be the same as the ones I got from William's and my local home brew shop.

tap 2 - air

Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
m1k3
Brew Setups
Recipes 

ok. the dry hop is absolutely fantastic, right now!

do I pull the hops out of the keg now?

will it get better, or will it get grassy?

tap 2 - air

Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #15
m1k3
Brew Setups
Recipes 

Jan 3 pull the hops out of he keg (they were put in on Dec 17).

Could have left them in longer probably but it is great as is.

If the hops start to drop off, I could dry hop again. I stumbled onto some Citra at my local Whole Foods store!

tap 2 - air

Quick Reply