Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dry Hop in keg or bucket and how long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
m1k3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Dry Hop in keg or bucket and how long?

Hi All-

I've been reading the related threads and there is no exact answer to this (or is there?)

I brewed 10 gallons of IPA today. OG=1.066 6oz of kettle hops 60=magnum, 30=northern brewer, 20=columbus, 15=simcoe, 10=columbus, 5=simcoe (all 1oz charges)

I plan to dry hop with 4oz of Falconer's Flight. (2oz in each bucket or keg)

Here is the issue...
I leave town in 8 days. I will be gone for 12 days.

-Should I rack to two kegs at the last minute before I go and dry hop in the keg (in a hop sack with dental floss) for 12 days? Or just rack onto the pellets in a bucket secondary?

-Another option is to add the dry hops to the fermenters on day 3 for 5 days. And then keg on day 8. That seems a bit rushed because the the fermentation is proceeding slowly. I pitched 1.5 packs of Nottingham into each of the 5 gallons and the fermeters are in a tub (water is 63F).

Other ideas?

tap 1 - Summer Stout 6.6%
tap 2 - American Pale Ale 5.1% WLP001
tap 3 - American Pale Ale 5.1% Nottingham

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you have room in the brew fridge/keezer/kegorator, ferment normally and add the dry hops to the keg (in a nylon 'hop bag') right before you leave and put the kegs in to chill/carbonate while you're away. When you get back, you'll be able to pull pints of great dry hopped brew. That is, if your brew is actually ready to be dry hopped before you leave. IMO, 8 days in primary is really, really short for a brew over 1.060. IMO, just leave them in primary while away and dry hop (in keg, at serving temperatures) when you return.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
m1k3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
If you have room in the brew fridge/keezer/kegorator, ferment normally and add the dry hops to the keg (in a nylon 'hop bag') right before you leave and put the kegs in to chill/carbonate while you're away. When you get back, you'll be able to pull pints of great dry hopped brew. That is, if your brew is actually ready to be dry hopped before you leave. IMO, 8 days in primary is really, really short for a brew over 1.060. IMO, just leave them in primary while away and dry hop (in keg, at serving temperatures) when you return.
I can put one on tap. The other will get primed and wait its turn under the stairs.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
I can put one on tap. The other will get primed and wait its turn under the stairs.
Then I would only dry hop the one going on tap, in keg. If you've not tried this method before, I highly recommend it.

BTW, are you carbonating the keg with sugar or CO2? IMO, using priming solution only increases the crap in the bottom of the keg. I've had far better results just using CO2. I'm actually kegging some brews that I'll be carbonating in the basement, on gas, at about 50F. Two weeks later, they'll be carbonated and ready to go on tap whenever I want. At that temperature, the CO2 pressure needed (for the volumes I want) isn't all that much.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
m1k3 Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Personally I'd let it ferment until you get back then it'll be good & ready for dry hopping.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000 View Post
Personally I'd let it ferment until you get back then it'll be good & ready for dry hopping.
I totally agree with tgmartin

Just let it all sit. When you come back, dry hop the crap out of it and it will be a delicious IPA. No need to hurry things. Once you dry hop, sure, you should get it packaged, but until then you have some flexibility.

Do nothing. Dry hop when you come back.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 11-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I agree, I would wait.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #8
m1k3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post

Then I would only dry hop the one going on tap, in keg. If you've not tried this method before, I highly recommend it.

BTW, are you carbonating the keg with sugar or CO2? IMO, using priming solution only increases the crap in the bottom of the keg. I've had far better results just using CO2. I'm actually kegging some brews that I'll be carbonating in the basement, on gas, at about 50F. Two weeks later, they'll be carbonated and ready to go on tap whenever I want. At that temperature, the CO2 pressure needed (for the volumes I want) isn't all that much.
I have space for 3 kegs on tap. I own 5 kegs but have never been able to get the pipeline going... I always seem to keep 2 kegs empty.

In another thread I asked if I could pressurize a keg to store and I was told no, the only option was to prime with sugar since I could not supply co2 for the kegs in storage.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #9
m1k3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
I agree, I would wait.
Thanks. I will wait. I always keg at about 10 days. I know many people wait weeks to package.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
m1k3
Recipes 

We are hosting a Christmas Eve party so I'd like to get 5 gallons of this IPA on tap and ready for 12/24.

Since this is a 10 gallon batch in two 5 gallon fermenters, this is the prefect chance to dry hop one half in the fermenter (at 65F) and and dry hop the other half in the keg when it is needed on tap (at serving temp 35-40F).

I can dry hop today (or tomorrow morning) by adding the 2oz of pelitized Falconer's Flight to the Primary Fermenter or I could rack to secondary, and then dry hop. I am leaning toward just adding it to primary (the beer is dropping bright but it has only been 6 days).

Here is the calendar to help see the timeline:

Quick Reply