Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Drinking my first good homebrew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 AM   #1
maltMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Drinking my first good homebrew!

So I started out with a Mr. Beer kit I got this Christmas. Made a pale ale batch, never tasted it.

A week later I went out and bought a Cooper's English Bitter kit, a kettle, a fermenter and all the other equipment & supplies I needed. Made the kit, never tasted it.

Had the bug, so I moved on to mini mashes....did 2 in 3 days, an English pale ale and a Scottish 90 shilling. Never tasted them, but I did taste the samples I pulled out of the fermenters when checking my FG, and they showed a LOT of promise.

Moved on to all grain, which I did for the first time on Friday.

Now I was starting to wonder if anything I was making and spending lots of $$ on was any good.

Tried the Mr. Beer. It sucked. Tried the Cooper's kit. Sucked worse.

So, tonight I finally & nervously tried my mini-mash English pale ale (I had modified the recipe quite a bit without really knowing what I was doing), and it's pretty stinking good! It's still green (only 2 weeks since bottling), it's cloudy since I didn't do a secondary or cold crash or anything & I underhopped it, but this is something I would actually buy in the liquor store.

It's got a nice large head with good retention, full-bodied mouthfeel, very nice golden brown color, some nice toffee, caramel and fruit flavors.....yum.

Just wanted to share my excitement.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 01:58 AM   #2
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
It's got a nice large head with good retention, full-bodied mouthfeel, very nice golden brown color, some nice toffee, caramel and fruit flavors.....yum.
And it will only get better and better. Congrats!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply