Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Drinking Homebrew Young or Early

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
blackcows
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Drinking Homebrew Young or Early

I read an article, can't recall where, last fall that talked about they "myth" that homebrew needed to age. I read an article about a local brewpub that goes from grain to glass in about 2 weeks....good beer. When you read about homebrewing one of the advantages often listed is drinking "fresh beer". What are the advantages and disadvantages to letting beer age? Anyone drinking their beer 2 or 3 weeks after brewing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

i believe the "myth". you can go from grain to glass in 2 weeks if you force carbonate and the beer is of "standard" ABV. i have personally noticed a difference in taste as a beer ages. i regularly let the beer sit for 3 weeks in the fermenter and 3 weeks in the bottle before drinking. even after all that time as i work my way through the bottles i do notice a change in flavor. for some is really subtle and others its been drastic.

as far as the home brew actually NEEDing to be aged thats up to the brewer.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

My beers are 8 weeks minimum from grain to glass. 4 weeks in primary, and about 4 weeks to carb and condition in the bottle. And even a lot of experienced keggers condition their beer for a couple weeks before serving.

You'll find that most of the people here who are drinking their beer young are bitching about how crappy it tastes, and are asking us for help. And we're telling them that patience is a virtue.

And that's why the typical posts on here are like these 2 of mine.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/carb...3/#post2626926

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/seco...9/#post2621790

Or this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I was told the same thing. They warned of the results of fermenting in an ale pail for ~2 months.......the results? gold medal beers.

*shrug*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
dmcoates
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

That all depends on the type of beer.

bavarian hefe, i like them young.

The bigger the beer, the more time i like to let it condition.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
My beers are 8 weeks minimum from grain to glass. 4 weeks in primary, and about 4 weeks to carb and condition in the bottle. And even a lot of experienced keggers condition their beer for a couple weeks before serving.
I still consider myself a novice but this is exactly what I do. Even after getting into kegging - same deal. It's really easy to avoid mistakes and make awesome beer if you just do a little reading on this forum
Old 02-14-2011, 01:39 AM   #6
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Two weeks is what they have to do. Tons of yeast and tight temperature control, along with filtering, and there you have it.

They get paid by the pint, so they force it through the fermenters as quickly as possible. We do this for fun, so we don't rush it.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
brewmonk
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 84

so you are after a young barbarian?
no, sorry, a bavarian barbarian.

4 weeks is the rule.
more if possible,
less if necessary....

-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:58 AM   #8
Rotgut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Seems to me that it varies from brew to brew. I have a Black IPA that has been bottle conditioning for a while and every week it gets better. But I bottled a Belgian Golden this morning that was so good right out of the primary that I had a glass for breakfast! :P

Old 02-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #9
SKMO
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Totally depends on the beer.

I'd venture to say a heavy dopple, or RIS, brewed by the best craft brewery in the world would taste like ass at 2 weeks.

"Fresh" beer is a relative term. Grain to glass in 2 weeks I am sure is possible if you keg, but why not just run down to the corner and get a 12 pack of Bud Light if you are in a hurry?

I've made a lot of beers that were really good at a couple months, but they always got better the longer they sat in a cool dark place.

Just my experience.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:08 AM   #10
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrain View Post
Two weeks is what they have to do. Tons of yeast and tight temperature control, along with filtering, and there you have it.

They get paid by the pint, so they force it through the fermenters as quickly as possible. We do this for fun, so we don't rush it.
Russian River Brewing Company brews a strong beer called Pliny the Elder in 3 weeks, you may have heard of it. Do they pitch a lot of yeast and use temperature control? Sure, but why wouldn't a homebrewer want to do those things?

Do they filter? No they do not.

Quick Reply