Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Drinking Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
Aarman322
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Drinking Beer

Maybe this is a stupid question and maybe it's one that has already been asked, but I find it rather important. What is the best way to pour beer for drinking.

I heard alot, for instance the glasses I've heard you're never suppose to use for milk because the proteins never really come out of the glass when washing and it will cloud the beer. I've also heard not to use soap to clean the glasses because it will leave off tastes.

Some people say to pour it down the side
some people say to pour straight down the middle cause the head is the most important part of drinking.

Some people say to pour 1/3 down the middle the rest down the side that way you get head and it doesn't overflow.

Basically i've heard alot of talk and no reasons for any of it. Whats your oppinion. And keep in mind I'm not just talking about my homebrew, I'm talking about for drinking BMC or microbrews too.

-Thanks for the help
Happy Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
oms1981
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

personally, I have a set of pint glasses that are only used for beer. nothing else has ever been or will ever be consumed from them. when I wash them I try to use very little soap. As for pouring, I like to pour down the side for about 2/3 of the pour and then pour the rest straight on top to build up a nice, but not over done head.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
Ton
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

the way i always have done it is to start with the glass tilted but still pour down the middle, tilt the glass straight once its about 2/3 full, of course later if the head is huge and earlier and pour harder if head is weak.

as for cleaning, i use a hot water soak with a "green" or "natural" soap. Followed by a hot water rinse, wipe off any water on the outside. Glass will look brand new

Old 02-24-2009, 04:25 AM   #4
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I've read that using soap will kill head retention. I wash my glasses with soap, but I rinse thoroughly and I haven't had any problems with head retention or off tastes.

I pour down sides for 2/3 of the pour, then down the middle. BMC, I usually drink out of the bottle

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Aarman322
Recipes 

This is good to know, I was getting mad at my parents for using our beer glasses for other beverages while I was at home. But now I have my own glasses.

Quick Reply