Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Drinkability!?!?!WTF?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #31
tomwirsing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Red Stripe is not even close to inexpensive beer. I wouldn't even call Bud Light inexpensive.

Cheap is a different story, but if I'm going to drink cheap beer, it might as well be inexpensive, too. That's why I support my local High Life and keep my fridge stocked with the 30 packs I get for $14 at BJ's.

I wouldn't call it my beer of choice, but it's definitely my beer of choice for the price.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #32
no1likesme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

must... buy... bud... light... drinkability...

Old 12-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #33
TurboBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusgarrett View Post
For what it's worth, on that Discovery show that was just on, the dude from Pilner Urquell had a fairly decent description of "drinkability" in relation to the taste and bitterness of PU. At least I bought it...
I saw that too. I think it went something like this: "When you drink the beer.....it makes the thirsty...and this is drinkability."

I wonder if he was taking a deliberate stab at those commercials. But he is correct, Pilsner Urquell, on tap, is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. I only know one place around here that serves it on tap and it's this little Czechoslovakian restaurant that serves them by the liter.

I'm married to yeast.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #34
onejdn
Recipes 

I still think the term "Drinkable" is ridiculous. Thirst-quenching, refreshing, smooth...these terms describe a beer, Drinkable implies that there are certain beers not fit for human consumption. Oh wait...that's Bud. Does that make it an oxymoron? Regardless, still don't find it to be an accurate description of a beer or a description at all really.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #35
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you serious? 4 pages of posts on this one word? You all know what it means, that that is, essentially, "quaffability".

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #36
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Are you serious? 4 pages of posts on this one word? You all know what it means, that that is, essentially, "quaffability".
Yeah but it's difficult to make fun of "quaffability" because it generally implies an alcoholic beverage. "Drinkability" lends itself to being taken literally, and is much easier to make fun of for a beer jerk like me. But, in my own defence, I made fun of Delaware's governor for her "Livable Delaware Agenda" in the same way.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 12-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #37
Jolly McStanson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I know I'm going to be drinking a lot of beer such as a poker night or a day of foot ball, Bud is my favorite hands down. Black Label is my second favorite, and Bud light is my third. Bud light is all my brother will drink....well he will have a few Harpoon IPAs ones in a wile.

Every type of beer has its time and place.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:50 PM   #38
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejdn View Post
I still think the term "Drinkable" is ridiculous. Thirst-quenching, refreshing, smooth...these terms describe a beer, Drinkable implies that there are certain beers not fit for human consumption. Oh wait...that's Bud. Does that make it an oxymoron? Regardless, still don't find it to be an accurate description of a beer or a description at all really.
Drinkability is an accepted term that descibes a particular aspect of beer. Beer Drinkability When used on a beer tasting score sheet, or in another beer geek way, it takes on additional meaning other than "liquid that won't kill you."

Try to not think of it as "drinkable - able to drink." Think of it as "drinkability - ability to drink many." While a barleywine is drinkable, it does not have drinkability. A crisp Kolsch with a dry finish will beg me to keep on putting it to my lips and drink again and again.

What we can collectively be ticked about, is how any time that we describe a beer as having drinkability (which I don't see onejdn doing any time soon ), bud light is going to immediately pop into most people's heads now. Although, looking around the net some, it seems like the typical consumer has a similar reaction. "Of course I can drink it, friggin idiots!"

Quick Reply