LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
xfevv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Drink Tickets

Hosting a large spring BBQ/Home Brew competition at my house this year (74-100 people). This is the first time we are doing it and I am a bit concerned with the possibility of people over indulging and then driving afterwards. Were going to have a "bar" where people will come to get drinks rather then just in open coolers. Thinking about giving everyone a set number of drink tickets when they arrive to help control things a bit. Obviously there will be those who take advantage of things, but at least well be doing something...

Any thoughts? Anyone have any experience with this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I don't quite understand your question. Are you asking where to get drink tickets? Or how to stop people from drinking and driving?

You can get rolls of drink tickets from a dollar store, or any party supply stores.

You can ask people to turn in their keys when they pick up their tickets. But ultimately the risk and the onus falls on you, the proprietor of the event, to make sure stuff doesn't get out of control. I don't know how they do things in Arizona, but in Canada, you need to apply for a one day event permit to serve alcohol from your municipal government. Security, washroom availability, transportation, are all plans that you will already have to have in place, which will factor into your ability to get the permit. That is, of course, only if you want to keep it legal.

Make double sure that you don't have to jump through similar hoops in your hometown to throw such a party.

Fermenter 1 - Mynx and Maple's Too Wild Mild
Fermenter 2 - 2 Hearted Clone
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Aged Porter, APA

Old 01-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
xfevv
Recipes 

Guess just wonder what people think of the idea of giving out drink tickets.

I'll double check o make sure there aren't any issues with the even but there shouldn't be. It on my private property so I don't see any issues. Thanks

Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Clearcut23
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk4
I don't quite understand your question. Are you asking where to get drink tickets? Or how to stop people from drinking and driving?

You can get rolls of drink tickets from a dollar store, or any party supply stores.

You can ask people to turn in their keys when they pick up their tickets. But ultimately the risk and the onus falls on you, the proprietor of the event, to make sure stuff doesn't get out of control. I don't know how they do things in Arizona, but in Canada, you need to apply for a one day event permit to serve alcohol from your municipal government. Security, washroom availability, transportation, are all plans that you will already have to have in place, which will factor into your ability to get the permit. That is, of course, only if you want to keep it legal.

Make double sure that you don't have to jump through similar hoops in your hometown to throw such a party.
I've never had to get any sort of permit to throw any kind of party.

I assume everyone attending and drinking is a "grown up"? I don't believe them drinking and driving falls on you. They're old enough to make their own decisions. They should be old enough to decide to plan ahead for a sober driver or take a cab. Personally I wouldn't attend any party where the host tries to babysit me
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I don't think drink tickets are a bad idea, but doesn't quite seem necessary. But you do know your friends better than I do

Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Indytruks138
2 Punks Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 614

I wouldn't be keen on going to a party with a drink limit/ drink tickets. Between my wife and I we will figure out who is staying sober to drive, and if your guests can't take care of themselves and be responsible adults I wouldn't invite them.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
JoshJoshua
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I find drink tickets and over planning equals a boring party. The responsibility falls on the drinker choosing to take a cab, but not to say you cant influence the drinker not to drive.

Just something to remind your drinking friends that Arizona might be a .08 BAC state, but they can still get you for a DUI for a .01 BAC being that we are a zero tolerance state.

As for the 74-100 people. I'd check with Chandler PD to see what you need for your specific zip code. I dont think you'll need anything, but then again that a lot of patrons, and the PD might show up often based on parking and street crowds.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
jwalk4
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearcut23 View Post
I've never had to get any sort of permit to throw any kind of party.

I assume everyone attending and drinking is a "grown up"? I don't believe them drinking and driving falls on you. They're old enough to make their own decisions. They should be old enough to decide to plan ahead for a sober driver or take a cab. Personally I wouldn't attend any party where the host tries to babysit me
http://www.agco.on.ca/en/whatwedo/permit_special.aspx

Bam, read it and weep. This is for Ontario and not the states mind you, but it wouldn't surprise me if Arizona had something similar. In xfevv's case, I think he would need a "No sale - Special Occasion Permit", wherein a "No Sale: A No Sale SOP is issued when alcohol is served without charge or when there is no money collected for alcohol – either directly or indirectly – from guests".

I am assuming that xfevv's party will be primarily an outdoors affair, since he is thinking of having 100 people. Therefore, any outdoor space is not considered "Private". As stated by the AGCO, a Private Place is restricted to "an indoor place to which the public is not ordinarily invited or permitted and is not available for rent to the public for occasional use".

I'm just saying, cover your ass. You don't want to be caught without a permit should you get shut down.

Fermenter 1 - Mynx and Maple's Too Wild Mild
Fermenter 2 - 2 Hearted Clone
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Aged Porter, APA

Old 01-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
xfevv
Recipes 

No such regulation in Arizona.