Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > To drink or not to drink.......

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
ale_mongrel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default To drink or not to drink.......

...Im currently on vacation in Phoenix AZ visiting my younger brother who has had a pint bottle of Stone Pale Ale in his fridge for at least the last 2 1/2 years or so. He's not a huge beer guy per se but he likes his heffenwisens, and is partial to guiness. As this Stone pale ale isnt in his wheel house he hasn't ventured to try it and has offered it to me. Now what do I do? Do I happily accept?? (i think it might be good) or do I run screaming because its been sitting so long??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

?????? Run screaming??????? You think beer goes bad in a way other than the marketers @ budwieser with their idiotic born on dates would have you believe?

In the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

Since nothing pathogenic can grow in beer, there's no worry needed about getting sick from them. All that can happen is that they may not have held up over time.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revi...assics-160672/

Beer's like wine, a lot of them improve with age....That's why stone has "vertical epic" with vintage, and people have vertical tasting parties

I made a beer that won't even be opened before 5 years go by on Sunday. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/help...recipe-195096/

Enjoy the beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

drink it and find out... who cares... the worst that could happen is its not so good and you pour it down... more than likely its going to be really bland tasting.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Brewer_Bob
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not going to hurt ya. I'd drink it out of curiosity, though my understanding is hoppy beers don't really improve with extended aging.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Drink it. I just drank a beer last night (Getting my bottle count up) that was purchased in the virgin islands more than 6 years ago. Now I will not lie and say it was great, but im here right now.

Quick Reply