New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dream LHBS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #21
Fizzycist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I brew a 5 gallon partial grain batch once a month or so, which is a lot less than most people. I buy all my ingredients from my LHBS and take the time while weighing stuff out to shoot the breeze, taste his beer, share mine etc. It works out to be about 5 lbs grain, 3 lbs dry malt extract, couple oz hops and 1 pack (dry or wet) of yeast. Once in a while I restock on things like whirlfloc, yeast nutrient, bottling sugar, caps, etc. And a little more rarely I buy a new piece of gear. I probably average about 30-35 bucks a month.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #22
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I should also add, this LHBS is very much a side business for the guy. He has a day job and basically only runs it on weekends, and yes, it's out of his garage. Clean, well organized, website and business cards, but it's his garage.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #23
dizzyfun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have free or super cheap classes on homebrew basics. You'll be suprised what people will buy when they get something (info) for free.

"The immediate bubbles were your yeast screaming in pain" ~ Freisste

"Straighten out a wire coat hanger and put a small hook in the end, just big enough to fit thru the hole in your bung." ~ Huesmann

Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #24
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Hardware for kegs and all grain setups i.e. ball lock valves, brewmometers, sight glasses, false bottoms, sparge arms, quick disconnects and replacement poppets and o rings.
Knowledgeable staff, knowledgeable staff, knowledgeable staff.
Good luck and have fun

Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #25
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'd say bulk base grains for sub $50 per sack for the basic stuff like Briess, and anything under $70 for a sack of Euro grain is reasonable. While not always practical, having a wide selection of specialty grains is an awesome thing for a LHBS to carry in stock. Also, something rather new my LHBS has started, a big chalkboard of all the hop varieties they carry, and next to each breed a demarcation if they have it in stock in pellet, leaf, or not at all. Also, a wide variety of yeast strains, relatively fresh if possible.

That's what I primarily use my LHBS for, and I'd have to say I'm extremely happy with them.

Bottled: RIS ; RIS 2 ; BDSA ; Tripel 3 ; English IPA 1 ; Session IPA 2 ; Saison 9 ; Singel 2 ; Porter 2
Kegged: empty

Old 11-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
Onihige
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Location: I live in the middle of nowhere, and as if it wasn't annoying enough to have to go to the next town over, it was in a really bad location.

Hours: The store I mentioned previously was really bad and went bankrupt, but it had really good hours. Another store is way better on all fronts - except the hours. Open three days a week, for an hour or two per day.

Storage: This I can't stress enough. The bad LHSB stored dry yeast in a basket, right next to a hot lightbulb. They were all mixed in that basket, too. It was generally hard to find anything in that store. No fridge for the hops, either. One 1kg bag of uncrushed base malt... no milling provided...

Ingredients: This is hard, you gotta cater to a lot of different needs.

Equipment: Neither of the stores sold any brewpots, mostly fermentation stuff, mills, capping. No kegging stuff either, and here that'd be a real plus since the internet stores are over charging for that.

Get a good mill, some stores provide substandard milling which hurts the brewers. They get lower efficiency, and have to buy more grain - that's the plan anyway. I'd rather just take my business elswhere.

Try and get on a good foot with a brew club, if you have the space let them use it for meetings. Classes, as someone mentioned, is a good idea. Others might be doing that too, but yours can be better.

And also mentioned by someone else, your own brand of AG kits. Although personally I'm not interested in them in general, I'd might pick 'em up anyway if I'm already there

And it's great for those who can't, or won't, make their own recipes. In the case of my father - both.

This isn't a beer belly, It's a fuel tank for a love machine.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #27
LaFinDuMonde
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Fresh yeast and a good selection of it. Or at least the ability, or want, to get me the yeast I'm looking for. I hate when I'm looking for, say 3711, and the LHBS owner tells me that 3787, is 'basically the same thing'.

Quick Reply