The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Draft Magazine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
s3n8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Draft Magazine?

Just got a flyer for "Draft - Life on tap".

Never heard of it before, anyone get it? recommend it? The advert is for buy one get one free (just like BYO which I subscribe). There are a few references here for draft magazine, but they seem pretty sparse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
jdinger29
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IDK, from the website it looks like Cigar Aficionado. It might be cool if you live in a big town with lots of taps but in the sticks I would just get jealous of all the good beer I'm NOT drinking.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
KingHippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I think its ok. Not a homebrewers mag. More like a beer lovers kind of magazine. I pick up an issue from time to time.

"How come things that only happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer J. Simpson

Old 10-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Funny thing about Draft magazine. I just received two of them in the mail. Not as a subscription (I don't subscribe, and have never subscribed) but just two recent issues inside a US Priority Mail sleeve, addressed by hand. No note of explanation or anything. I don't know if they got addresses from somewhere (maybe the AHA) and are sending out free issues to try to drum up business or what. Very odd.

It's not a bad magazine and I've picked it up on the news stand. The content runs the gamut of industry news, beer reviews, beer-related travel, and food. Pleasant enough.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 10-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

It's kinda lame, it is very BMC oriented, with some micro knowledge, it's really just sort of a maxim, or details, but with a beer leaning.

My lhbs couldn't sell any so they put them out for free (I picked up one of each issue they had) but really had a hard time even giving it away.

It's a good "poseur" magazine, but if you know anything about brewing, you can see right through the holes. It's the kinda mag to where an ad about a certain beer being "triple hopped," would not be met with a sneer, but awe. Where many of the review were for those pseudo macros that the BMC industry tries to infiltrate the market.

It's the kind of magazine where that those annoying pretend beer snobs that we tend to have trashed here, like the one at every party where you bring you homebrew or decent beer, says something like these things below...but still acting condescending, would use to crib from.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/stup...stupid+comment

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It's kinda lame, it is very BMC oriented
I dunno. The two issues I have in front of me don't seem BMC oriented. The Brew Reviews in this one covers Brown Ales, Amber Ales, Wheats, and Pale Ales from lots of Micros including Flossmore Station, Deschutes, Lagunitas, Bear Republic, Firestone Walker, Kona, North Coast, Terrapin, Troegs and on and on. Not a single BMC faker in the bunch. In fact, I don't any BMC material at all in either of these. I wonder if they're trying to change their focus?
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 10-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

maybe ill pick one up next time im in a bookstore. Doesnt sound like I should subscribe just yet.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

yeah. read it first. I wouldn't subscribe to it. I find it a lot dull.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:54 AM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Someone that knew I "was into beer" gave me a July 08 issue and it has an interview with Sam Calagione and Jim Koch and an article on the big hop shortage. Certainly decent bathroom or airplane reading at the very least.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 AM   #10
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

The free issues I got in the mail reminded me of some sort of GQ take on beer. It was flashy, it had some information that was good, it had a lot of information that was fairly superficial, but it was nothing I would pay for. If it's changed, I'm all for giving them another look, but I don't need some sort of People/SI/Maxim/GQ/Men's Health look at beer.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Quick Reply