Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Doughing in alone.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Deebee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Doughing in alone.

Hi all.

I have been lucky in having help for 3 of the 4 Ag brews i have made. this has made doughing in really easy as they sprinkled the grain into the mash water whilst i stired.

The one i did myelf was hard going though, so my question is in the case of being alone do you add the grain to the mash water or the mash water to the grain?

IF you add water to grain how do you manage to transfer all the water into the grain fast enough so as not to cause clumping of the grain?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I add my strike water to my mash tun first to heat it up and then I add my grain. I use a 1.5qt/lb grist ratio which makes stirring up my mash pretty easy. If I have any dough balls I just use a big spoon, my so called mash paddle, to break them up.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have done both with the same results. Nowadays I add the strike water first maybe 10 degrees F hotter than called for, and let the water cool to the appropriate temp before adding grain. I just add maybe 1/4 of the grain, stir, add some more, stir, etc. until it's all in there.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Since I've got my system figuered out I add my grain to the water, let it sit 5-6 minutes then stir. The wait gives the grain time to re-hydrate the water and there are no dough balls.
I will state that I am confident on my tempertures, so if you are having trouble hitting your mash temps this may not work as well for you

Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
Brewin_CRAZY
Recipes 

I tends to be much much easier to add the grain to the water already in the MLT. First off adding the grain first is just asking for a stuck sparge. Other than that, I like to just add my water a little hot, like 1-2 deg over what I calculate, allow it to settle in the MLT then add a little grain, mix, grain, mix... you get the picture. I normally rock a 1.25 qt/lb grist ratio and have never had an issue. Just add like a quarter of your grain, mix it up dry to avoid dough balls, then add more, just make sure to not get any dough balls and you should be good to go.

Bottled: DFH 120 Clone (Kicks your A$$)

"Brew happy, brew often, and always brew with friends." -Me
"I dont home brew because I'm poor, I'm poor because I home brew!!!" -Me

"If I ever leave this world alive ill be drinkin up in the sky, with you my friend by my side" RIP B.G.
And always remember friends "Do NOT set yourself on fire"

Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3140 Times on 1961 Posts
Likes Given: 2659

I mill my grain the night before and toss into the mashtun. So, water last for me. Never a stuck sparge, but I use a megabraid.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I have tried both methods and found it easiest to add the grain to the water. This allows me to overshoot the strike temp of the cooler and preheat the mash tun. I then add some grain and stir and repeat a few times. No doughballs, no stuck sparge.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 AM   #8
JoMarky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Powder the water, get yourself a nice mash paddle. If you get dough balls, push them against the side of the tun to break them up.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
TeufelBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

just did a 10# batch of weisenbock in 50qt cooler. With a 31# grain bill, it was a very tight fit at 1.2qt/lb. Yes, I did it on my own, and yes, I ALWAYS go water first. I know it works great for other folks to go grain first, but I have an easier time getting into the corners of my rectangular cooler/tun when I go water first.

~~~~
That's not a beer gut, it's a liquid grain storage facility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
You're all wrong. Apfelwein is a time machine and mind eraser combined into one.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:37 AM   #10
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Grain into water for me. I don't get clumps stuck in the corner and all that good stuff.

In the end it is beer either way.

Quick Reply