Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Double IPA, double the cost

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2014, 03:16 AM   #11
David_Trucks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Still new to this, so I'm not completely sure what BIAB is (though I know it stands for brew in a bag). I use a large grain bag to steep the grains (is that BIAB?) but there isn't enough room to do an all grain recipe. Though I could try two separate batches I suppose...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 03:51 AM   #12
donovanmaxwell
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

It's very similar to steeping your grains. If you look in the BIAB area of the All Grain page, there are some great threads on how to BIAB. Now that I've done a couple, I wish I would have just started this way. It really isn't any more difficult than extract.

In a nutshell you use a large bag to contain your grains that fills the majority of the kettle. You heat the water to your desired strike temp, add your grains and stir so there are no clumps, make sure you are at the proper mash temp, let them sit until the starches are converted, remove the grain bag and let it drain back into the kettle, squeeze the bag to get more wort back, then bring it up to a boil like normal. It sounds more difficult than it is.

There is a lot of good info out there. Don't get intimidated by it being "all grain". I don't even have 10 batches under my belt yet and am putting out beer with good results. If I can, anyone can.

http://biabcalculator.com is a good place to get your calculations.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:10 AM   #13
David_Trucks
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovanmaxwell View Post
It's very similar to steeping your grains. If you look in the BIAB area of the All Grain page, there are some great threads on how to BIAB. Now that I've done a couple, I wish I would have just started this way. It really isn't any more difficult than extract.

In a nutshell you use a large bag to contain your grains that fills the majority of the kettle. You heat the water to your desired strike temp, add your grains and stir so there are no clumps, make sure you are at the proper mash temp, let them sit until the starches are converted, remove the grain bag and let it drain back into the kettle, squeeze the bag to get more wort back, then bring it up to a boil like normal. It sounds more difficult than it is.

There is a lot of good info out there. Don't get intimidated by it being "all grain". I don't even have 10 batches under my belt yet and am putting out beer with good results. If I can, anyone can.

http://biabcalculator.com is a good place to get your calculations.

That's what I do, only I add extract after that. I've got 3 batches under my belt, all this same technique, and they've all been tasty so far. I'd like to do all grain, maybe I will with the next one. Especially if it's cheaper.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
donovanmaxwell
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

There is a difference between mashing and steeping grains, but on a basic level they're pretty close. Check out this link as well. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind.../Brew_in_a_Bag It'll help get you started. Hope you have a successful next brew. BIAB is pretty easy. Just takes a modest amount of planning and care.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #15
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Trucks View Post
All grain would be tough- don't have the kettle space. Everything else sounds great, thanks everyone for the tips!

You might not be as limited by kettle space as you think.

For the price of a five gallon paint strainer bag you can step into all grain brewing using BIAB methods. A lot of people assume BIAB is strictly single vessel brewing with all the water required for the entire brew added in the mash. BIAB is more versatile than that.

For instance google Maxi-BIAB. This method uses a 19 litre (5 US gallon) pot to make 23 litre (6 US gallon) batches. If you already brew extract then most likely the only new peice of equipment you'll need is the bag.

Quick Reply