Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Doomsday Preppers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
SmokingGunn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I didn't think about this before posting, but in such an event I think beer will become a highly valued commodity... primarily due to the fact that few will be able to produce it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I'm an avid gardener also (1/4 acre garden), my house would have beer. I grow hops, corn, squatch, and barley is easy to grow, and easy to malt (Just time consuming). As far as yeast goes, no your favorite white labs, or wyeast would not be available, but if you had something in process you could propagate. The otherside of the coin is that there is always wild yeast...works very well for trappists or lambics. I have also tried to propagate wild yeast in samples of my wort from brew days, which has worked out VERY well! So my house would have beer maybe with adjuncts, and differing in taste from that which I'm used too (But not that bad). Also I like to think as a brewer in an end of the world situation, your skills would be valuable, and in high demand!!!

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

For anyone who watches the show, did you guys see the episode with the guy who invented some sort of shovel/sword thing then he shoots his thumb off with his sons?

Anyone else catch them "bugging out" in the Wrangler towing a trailer, but then when they are driving and keeping track of their driving time, the interior of the vehicle is obviously not a Wrangler, but some small SUV? Of course when they pull up to their hide site, it's in the Jeep again. That was pretty funny, but when he shot is thumb off I almost died laughing.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
VinceF
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah, that was hilarious. Especially since he kept going on about a "malfunction" as if it wasn't his fault. The only malfunction was that he had poor muzzle awareness and his finger on the trigger.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb82 View Post
Personally I would give up on beer and go to mead cider and fruit wines. The only reason is getting ingredients for beer would be much more difficult then the ingredients for the other options locally or require too much work( at that point easier to obtain/create is far more important for survival). For yeast I would culture my own local yeast, probably off of the skins of fruit to start with.
Mead, cider and fruit wines would be what I would do.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I know I answered earlier but in all honesty there is probably little chance I would brew anything at all.

Brewing and fermenting takes a lot of time which means you need equipment and a singular location to conduct the process. In a SHTF situation I want to remain as mobile as possible since remaining stationary means defending stuff, yeah I like my house but when and if things go lawless I won't put my life and my families life in jeapordy for it.

Now if there were a community with safety involved I would find ways to brew since it would be a very valuable skill to the community.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #17
Felixio
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 41

First, I'm assuming that this is a post SHTF scenario, when society is trying to rebuild in any way that it can, allowing me to sit still long enough to brew, age, bottle, and bottle condition my beer/wine/mead/cider.

Second, my first successful brew would go into storage, never to be consumed (after it was confirmed as a successful brew). That way I have several cases of a viable yeast that will only be on it's second generation for as long as the yeast can stay dormant. Of course, once the yeast cells start to break down, then I'm in trouble. All brewers would have to get creative with how the yeasts are havested/cleaned/stored. Perhaps there's a more efficient way to grow the yeast than in wort. Maybe we can find alternative ways of growing the yeast we need without contaminating the whole batch.

Third, you thought sanitization was important now, try it without Star-San and running water. Sterilization will be king. We'll have to boil the crap out of everything to make this work. And hope that we can find something to cover it to keep the dirt out while we go about the business of brewing.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1031 Times on 775 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixio View Post
First, I'm assuming that this is a post SHTF scenario, when society is trying to rebuild in any way that it can, allowing me to sit still long enough to brew, age, bottle, and bottle condition my beer/wine/mead/cider.

Second, my first successful brew would go into storage, never to be consumed (after it was confirmed as a successful brew). That way I have several cases of a viable yeast that will only be on it's second generation for as long as the yeast can stay dormant. Of course, once the yeast cells start to break down, then I'm in trouble. All brewers would have to get creative with how the yeasts are havested/cleaned/stored. Perhaps there's a more efficient way to grow the yeast than in wort. Maybe we can find alternative ways of growing the yeast we need without contaminating the whole batch.

Third, you thought sanitization was important now, try it without Star-San and running water. Sterilization will be king. We'll have to boil the crap out of everything to make this work. And hope that we can find something to cover it to keep the dirt out while we go about the business of brewing.

Wild yeast. Might not be style correct, but this would be getting down to the roots of brewing.

As for sanitization, yeah. There will probably be a higher prevalence of sours floating around.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #19
SmokingGunn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I didn't even think about the sanitization piece.

Regardless... here's an ironic article in the local newspaper today:

http://theadvocate.com/columnists/4617961-55/smiley-anders-for-dec-11

Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingGunn View Post
I didn't even think about the sanitization piece.

Regardless... here's an ironic article in the local newspaper today:

http://theadvocate.com/columnists/4617961-55/smiley-anders-for-dec-11
Yeah but in 57 they also deemed DDT safe and sprayed it liberally over neighborhoods while kids played below.

Just sayin is all.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Quick Reply