Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Doomsday Preppers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
SmokingGunn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Doomsday Preppers

I have to admit, I can't get enough of the Nat Geo series "Doomsday Preppers." Some of those people are a little crazy... Some a little practical. Though I'm not much of a prepper myself, it makes me wonder what would be in store for the future of beer in a doomsday scenario.

How would you get ready for the end of the world as we know it, beer wise. You won't be able to have those grains, hops, and yeast packets shipped across the country to your doorstep. Would you try to store bulk supplies somehow? How would you preserve the freshness of your ingredients? Would you grow your own ingredients? What do you do for yeast? I would assume you'd have to switch to wood for fuel and preserve your propane...

Gunn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Personally I would give up on beer and go to mead cider and fruit wines. The only reason is getting ingredients for beer would be much more difficult then the ingredients for the other options locally or require too much work( at that point easier to obtain/create is far more important for survival). For yeast I would culture my own local yeast, probably off of the skins of fruit to start with.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal), Schepen
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers:
jordanpace Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
SmokingGunn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Wow. Only one response. Is this in the wrong forum?

Old 12-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

It's probably in the right place, but on the borderline. It has nothing to do with the technical info usually discussed here, which is likely why you're not receiving the interest you'd prefer.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

We have had threads like this in the past and the response above is the most correct. Malting barley is a PITA, don't think so try it!

Old 12-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I have fruit growing in my yard so would definitely only be making fruit wines. The thought of making wines from my excess fruit is what got me looking into brewing.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Lambic wine at that point for me.

I have enough useable trade stock that if I felt I needed a beer then I would eithr trade some of that stock or trade lead, personally though beer isn't on my list of necessities in this sort of scenario.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 12-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
huntingohio
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You can actually stock up and store grains.
They make little mylar bags that you could seal them in whole not ground. If you put an o2 absorber packet in them [they are sold super cheap on ebay], they could be stable for 20 plus years. Same with hops, just dry them really really well. The only thing that wouldnt store well is yeast.
Its going to be my streategy at income tax time that way I can have 100-150lbs of grain stored and a few pounds of hops, and not have to buy any for a year or two.

Yeast will be a problem as even if you wash it after 5-6 generations it will go bad.

Wine would be the way to go for the doomsday types. Grape vines and berries would be easy to plant and are super easy to maintain.

P1 Strawberry bannna melomel
p2 mixed berry cyser
p3 lemon ginger melomel
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have an untested beverage that I plan to make this spring. I am calling Birch Beer. I will go and tap birch trees since they are NOT regulated for "tapping seasons" (major reason why real maple syrup is so expensive this year.) I will also dig up some of the roots.

I will take the "milk" and boil some of it down to a syrup but the majority will get boiled with the cleaned/chopped roots until i hit a 1.054-ish OG and then I will ferment it. How will it taste? I have no idea. But in a end of the world scenario I would be all over the maple trees in the spring as well.

"Beer" as we know it will probably become a rare commodity as it will become harder and harder to plant, harvest and malt barley. The labor for the return simply is not worth the effort.

BTW there is a HUGE difference in edible/food storage and storing malted grains long term. I do not think sticking grains in a Mylar bag w/ O2 absorbing packets will keep the enzymes alive for years and years but I may be wrong.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Enzymes are not living organisms. With cool, dry vacuum storage, they may well last for many years.

Quick Reply