New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Don't dump your bad brew!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
BellAub
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Default Don't dump your bad brew!

I started brewing beer almost a year ago and in that time I have made three bad batches of beer. One of them I did dump and I just thought what a big waste of time. Then I heard that you could age out any off flavors. So I bottled the other bad batch any way and tasted a bottle every month to see if there was any change in the taste. After tasting one of the many disappointing bottles I decided, instead of poring this sad creation down the drain, I will try and give it a new purpose. I poured it in a pot with some onions, green peppers, garlic, and brats. Snap! That was the best brats ever. I did the same recipe for some friends and they confirmed that I did not have bias taste buds. I have since used my Ridgecrest crud in various marinades with awesome results. I just tasted my first all grain attempt and I would be embarrassed to give a bottle to the wineno on the corner. But, I can’t wait taste it injected in a pork roast or used as a brine with smoked turkey.
I will never dump a bad batch again.
Proust

Primary:Belgian Triple
Secondary:None yet
Bottled: Ridgecrest Crud (My first beer) Triple SB, Farm House Saison, Home bored Brew
Kegged: None yet
On Tap:Triple SB, Farm House Saison, Home bored Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellAub View Post
I started brewing beer almost a year ago and in that time I have made three bad batches of beer. One of them I did dump and I just thought what a big waste of time. Then I heard that you could age out any off flavors. So I bottled the other bad batch any way and tasted a bottle every month to see if there was any change in the taste. After tasting one of the many disappointing bottles I decided, instead of poring this sad creation down the drain, I will try and give it a new purpose. I poured it in a pot with some onions, green peppers, garlic, and brats. Snap! That was the best brats ever. I did the same recipe for some friends and they confirmed that I did not have bias taste buds. I have since used my Ridgecrest crud in various marinades with awesome results. I just tasted my first all grain attempt and I would be embarrassed to give a bottle to the wineno on the corner. But, I can’t wait taste it injected in a pork roast or used as a brine with smoked turkey.
I will never dump a bad batch again.
Proust
Cool if that floats your boat, but getting fat while cooking/drinking crap beer is not my idea of a good time. I'm already fat enough as is. Pinpointing what made the beer crappy in the first place is, in my humble opinion, a way better avenue than holding on to undrinkable brew.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I don't see what it would hurt to keep it to cook. If you have room and don't need the bottles, keeping it around to boil a pot of brauts seems like a good idea to me.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
nos33
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you get bad batches eventually, no one is perfect. Bell is just saying he found a new way to enjoy a failed brew. Where did the getting fat part come from?

Old 09-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
Bmorebrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You pretty much have to eat anyway, I'm not sure he was suggesting to make extra meals on top of the normals ones just to use up unsavory beer.

Also, don't forget beer makes an excellent ingredient in chili!

Old 09-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
BellAub
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
Cool if that floats your boat, but getting fat while cooking/drinking crap beer is not my idea of a good time. I'm already fat enough as is. Pinpointing what made the beer crappy in the first place is, in my humble opinion, a way better avenue than holding on to undrinkable brew.
Well I sometime cook/marinate with balsamic vinegar (failed red wine) but I would never drink a bottle of it. Plus, I have to buy the vinegar.

Primary:Belgian Triple
Secondary:None yet
Bottled: Ridgecrest Crud (My first beer) Triple SB, Farm House Saison, Home bored Brew
Kegged: None yet
On Tap:Triple SB, Farm House Saison, Home bored Brew

Old 09-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
The_Professor
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I had one bad batch that tasted a lot like malt vinegar.
I guess I could have had it with some battered fish.

Brewing since '08
1-85) - Gone
86) Sumerian Beer - drinking
87) Olde Style Porter - carbonating
88) Chocolate Bock - on deck

Old 09-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

All I'm pointing out is that if cooking with bad beer is great, imagine how fabulous it would've been with good beer ? Plus, you need to do a whole lot of cooking to warrant keeping 5 gal of bottles (that could be filled with good beer, mind you).

BTW, balsamic vinegar is far, far, FAR from just being "bad wine". A good balsamic vinegar can be godly on a simple piece of bread. It is also especially good drizzled on ice cream.

As I said. I'm fat enough as is .

Old 09-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2641 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 2149

Quote:
All I'm pointing out is that if cooking with bad beer is great, imagine how fabulous it would've been with good beer ?
Perhaps not as great, or no diff. Really. I use apple cider vinegar a lot for grilling. If I had a beer taste like that (I've had one!), it would be undrinkable and great for cooking.

Quote:
Plus, you need to do a whole lot of cooking to warrant keeping 5 gal of bottles (that could be filled with good beer, mind you).
Agree. I dump quickly, without remorse. I'll never advocate holding on to bad beer.

Quote:
BTW, balsamic vinegar is far, far, FAR from just being "bad wine". A good balsamic vinegar can be godly on a simple piece of bread. It is also especially good drizzled on ice cream.
??? serious?

Quote:
As I said. I'm fat enough as is .
Not the OP's fault. Let's assume the OP is fit and exercises regularly, OK?

Old 09-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would get a vinegar culture and a huge crock and turn the bad batched in to Prime Malt Vinegar and sell that to your friends, it isn't beer anymore so you can legally sell it.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Quick Reply