Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Done with LHBS!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
bell0347
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Done with LHBS!!

Just a quick rant. I am completely done with my LHBS. It kinda sucks because I try to support local small business but if you can't provide a quality product or at least occaisionally sweep the floor then I'm not providing business. I get this weird plasticy, soapy flavor in my brews when I buy ingredients there too. I don't know if it's old hops, stale grains, or what but I'm not going there again. Really ticks me off because I had high hopes for this last batch and didn't turn out. Should have known better.

I've used Northern Brewer, Brewmaster's Warehouse, and just recently ordered from High Gravity and have always had good results with their service, ingredients, and final product. Keep up the good work guys.

B.Bell

"Hell, it aint rocket surgery"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Beer should never enter a septic system until it's had a trip through the kidneys first. :D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Hey, you gave them a shot. I wouldn't keep throwing my money away either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 08-22-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I buy most of my stuff from morebeer.com. Actually they have a store not too far from here but they have a large mail order business.

"Carpe Diem"

Old 08-22-2009, 02:45 AM   #4
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ditto on that, I order exclusively online now. I get better service from Forrest at AHS via email and PM than I ever did from my LHBS. Midwest and Northern have been great to me as well. I definitely believe the ingredients are fresher from these folks than my LHBS. I highly recommend all of them.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:11 AM   #5
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I support my local HBS (High Gravity) but only becuse they deserve it. I won't support a store that sux. like my local hardware store.I drive 40 miles out of my way to get to a Lowes just so I dont have to deal with overly marked up poor service. vote with your feet/wallet.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:25 AM   #6
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I agree with a lot of what is being said. I too like the idea of supporting a local business but when I sit back and think about I want the best quality and product for my money. Sometimes my LHBS is best for the money and quality but about 70% of the time they are not. The advantage they have is convenience. Supporting a local company seems like a great idea but in the end the best company should get my money..... PERIOD.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:55 AM   #7
GlassblowersBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Out here in central California we have Doc's Cellar in San Luis Obispo. They are great. Very knowledgeable friendly and the prices are pretty good for that "I want it now" type of shopper. Sure, the prices may be a little higher than online, but considering the overhead of a retail store, they serve us really well. I am quite pleased. Sorry your store is so inadequate.

Primary #1: Air
Primary #2: Air
Secondary: Air
Kegged: Air and some mold

Old 08-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Thor the Mighty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

theres nothing around me, so the nearest is 45 minutes and the owner of the shop is a freakin dick! he used to be cool but now he just grumbles when you ask questions, and rates beer on beeradvocate while you jaunt around his store looking for stuff...

You finally made it home! Draped in the flag that you fell for. And so it goes, the ashes of the wake!

Old 08-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2136 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Hey, you gave them a shot. I would not feel bad about supporting your local online retailer. I probably wouldn't necessarily buy from Morebeer, because they are a ways away, but I've bought from Northern brewer, and I've heard nothing but good things from most of the major online stores. Austin Homebrew is a regular here and he is always making sure people are satisfied.

The closest LHBS to me is like over an hour away. Factor in the gas money and ordering supplies online ahead of time only makes sense for me. Of course I love their place and always try to stock up if I'm ever down that way, but it usually doesn't work out.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
Mattbastard
Recipes 

Wow, hearing some of your stories I consider myself quite fortunate that my LHBS is top notch. His hop selection didn't dwindle or increase in price throughout all of 2008 (I have no idea how he did this), his hours are perfect (4-8 weekdays, 10-2 Sat), and he's great to BS with about old motorcycles. And if I order an Activator on Tuesday, he has it on Friday, and it was just made last week.

Quick Reply