Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "DOH!" Moments In Brewing History....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
jdlev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default "DOH!" Moments In Brewing History....

My new beer is the best flat beer I've tasted to date, so of course, when I started carbonating it last sunday, I was very excited to see the progress today...

After tasting it...I thought to myself...'wait a second...this isn't carbonated at all!!' My "DOH!" moment....I forgot to turn on the bloody co2 tank!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Been there, done that....at least it has conditioned another week. I'll one up ya. I let the keg sit for 3 weeks to fully carb. Went to sample and Doh!!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
Dane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a good one. I have a single tiered pump driven keggle system. I had just begun to sparge while shipping wort over to my boil kettle. I always overlook the entire sparge process to make sure everything is bueno. My room-mates were bugging me and finally pissed me off enough to stop and move some stuff. When I came back I noticed my boil kettle which was roughly 1/2 full was empty! I left the valve of the boil kettle open. The weight of the wort was enough to leave the kettle, down through my counterflow chiller, through my march pump, and onto the sidewalk. I quickly added more sparge water and finished the sparge. The beer came out roughly around 2.0%. I don't know if I want to toss it or save it, maybe put it in my bicycle water bottles for those long rides. But, yeah, it was a $60, 10 gallon batch that literally went down the drain. DOH!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:12 AM   #4
FrewBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was making my first batch after a 3 year hiatus (no room in the old apartment... plenty of room in my new house!) And wanted to lighten up the kettle before I carried it outside to chill with the sort chiller....

It turns out plastic auto-siphons don't hold up well in boiling hot water! DOH! It was just another reason to place another order with NB which meant another kit and more kegging equipment :-p

Primary: 5 gal. Stout
Secondary: 10 gal. Belgian Witbier
On tap: IPA
Ready to brew: 10 gal. Fat Tire clone

Relax, don't worry, Have a Frew Brew

Old 05-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2274 Times on 1978 Posts
Likes Given: 1705

I was brewing an ale a week ago last Sunday. I had the wort in the BK in the sink with ice water...I had it down to maybe 90F when I realized I didn't do the late LME addition! Dooooh! Took it out,was still hot enough to mix it in. Fweeehw!!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I forgot to close the ball valve on my kettle before collecting my first runnings. DOH!

Old 05-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Is there such a thing as "pre-alcohol abuse"?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Malintent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysus View Post
I forgot to close the ball valve on my kettle before collecting my first runnings. DOH!
I don't know what is wrong with me, but I've NEVER collected all of my first runnings for the exact same reason. I think the problem in my system exists somewhere between the stool and the control panel.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Yeah,the part where you go "buuuurrraaack",then stumble off the stool a little too quickly. lolz

Old 05-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Never done the carbonating thing, but I've been bit my open ball valves a number of times.
In a hurry to fill my HLT and get the water up to temp, I've forgot to put the temp probe in place before pouring the water in. luckily it's only a 1/4" fitting, so it comes out pretty slow.
My worst one was that I have a false bottom on my MLT that I disconnect after every brew session so that I can hose out the false bottom and clean underneath it. Well, one time I forgot to reconnect it - mashed in and started stirring.. what's going on here? Feels like a really solid doughball... hhmm.. DOH! That sucked, had to dump the mash into a bucket, connect the false bottom and dump the mash back in.

Quick Reply