Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dogfish IPA Glass

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1145 Times on 929 Posts

Not the most handsome glass, that's for sure.

(And I'd send that pour right back where it came from)

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #22
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Just picked up a pair from Sierra Nevada. Will be washing off the logo just because I don't want any confusion when drinking my homebrew. Appearance can mean a lot, and someone seeing SNBC might think differently about my beer. I thought about ordering 100 at Dogfish since the shipping never changed and stayed at 9 bucks, but I don't want to be a total douche.
Looked up the manufactures web site and they are taking pre orders for a non logo glass. The cost was $25 for two with delivery in May. Shipping was somewhere around $12. So if you want one without the Logo.

http://www.riedelusa.net/index.php/frontcategories/newitems/spiegelau-ipa-glass.html

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #23
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorocks17 View Post
I'm sorry, it looks like a sex toy to me
Exactly my first thought as well!

On the more serious side, for those who actually have one of these: are they made out of a good solid feeling glass? I had a couple of the DFH snifters and they were wicked fragile...ended up breaking both of them in fairly short order. I haven't broken a regular pint (or even any other "special" glasses, like Chimay or Ommegang glasses) in god knows how long...
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 02-09-2013, 05:23 AM   #24
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
Looked up the manufactures web site and they are taking pre orders for a non logo glass. The cost was $25 for two with delivery in May. Shipping was somewhere around $12. So if you want one without the Logo.

http://www.riedelusa.net/index.php/frontcategories/newitems/spiegelau-ipa-glass.html
Why spend 3 more bucks and weight 3 more months? Maybe if Shipping is free it would be worth it. But I can order 3 DF IPA glasses for 27 bucks plus 10 bucks for shipping, so the same price as to get 2 without a logo.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #25
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
Exactly my first thought as well!

On the more serious side, for those who actually have one of these: are they made out of a good solid feeling glass? I had a couple of the DFH snifters and they were wicked fragile...ended up breaking both of them in fairly short order. I haven't broken a regular pint (or even any other "special" glasses, like Chimay or Ommegang glasses) in god knows how long...
They're very light. Super light. So I would imagine you have to be careful with it. Seems like based on resonance it's built a lot like a white wine glass.

I'm very happy with it so far. I have noticed that my flavors I've gotten seem much better. Could be 100% in my head of course, but I got much more hop flavor (not just bitterness) from Hop Wallop than in the past. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow when I get to try a loose cannon in it. Today I did Six Point's Toxic Sludge which is a black IPA and it boosted the nose on that as well. It's really a well designed glass and I'm extra happy it has the laser etched logo because the head never dies in the glass and the ridges help aerate the beer. Down side is that the last bit of the beer almost always turns to head that takes a long time to settle.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #26
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
Why spend 3 more bucks and weight 3 more months? Maybe if Shipping is free it would be worth it. But I can order 3 DF IPA glasses for 27 bucks plus 10 bucks for shipping, so the same price as to get 2 without a logo.
I wasn't recommending them at all. You wanted a non logo glass. This was one way to do it. If you have a way to remove the logo, then ignore this method.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #27
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

there's a great way of removing them, dishwash the crap out of them

Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #28
bozizle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I ordered 2 and tried it out this weekend. While I like the look the overall product to me was not that great. The glass is way to thin up top and the handle is too small...

Old 02-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #29
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I bought two while we were at Sierra Nevada last weekend. Personally, I really like them. They feel like very nice glassware. The Sierra version has a hop cone laser etched in the bottom.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #30
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 45

As a solution to an engineering problem, I've gotta give 'em props. Even without ever having used one, I know that wine glass shape up top is great for holding and concentrating aromas, and the aeration ridges are a neat trick.

It's too bad it looks like a prop from a '70s low-budget Star Wars knock-off.

Quick Reply