Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dogfish Head

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
cbsdizzo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dogfish Head

Why is this beer so expensive and good? Which of them are hte best. I am thinking about picking some up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The beer is good, but it's not worth the price they charge. People in America love hops, and DFH has a gimmick with the amount and way that they add hops to their brews, so it makes their beer sell.

There are many MANY better IPAs than those produced by Dogfish Head.

-walker

Old 05-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

they don't just make IPAs. while the 60-90-120 series is gimmicky (although still good even though there are better), they make many other beers that are just as expensive that you simnply will not find other places like india brown etc.

I'm reading a book by Sam C the owner of DFH and he saysd the price is mostly because all thier beers are pretty big, using as much as 2-3x the ingredients, and in often cases a rare ingredient. i respect his logic, although i rarely buy dfh because of the price and the fact that althouhg they are unique i tend to prefer others from closer to home.

drinking: mocha java porter, belgian pumpkin ale, Gary's oatmeal stout clone, AHS nut brown, catamount porter clone, double nut brown, rye pale ale, my oatmeal stout

conditioning: nut brown

next: saison, wit, american wheat, hefe, kolsch, blonde

gone: too damn many

Old 05-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree with walker it is a good beer, but WAY overpriced for the product. I think the Stone brewing products that I have tried which are similar in price are far superior than DFH. This is just one example.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

True, they make more than the IPAs. I had the (disappointing) opportunity to sample several of their other brews at the World Beer Fest here in Raleigh a couple of weeks ago. The others were also gimmicky; a green beer brewed with algae and "Midas Touch" which supposedly uses an ancient beer recipe from the court of King Midas himself.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drengel
they make many other beers that are just as expensive that you simnply will not find other places like india brown etc.
Try Arrogant Bastard thats an awesome iBa...

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 05-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #7
freyguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's pretty close to me, so I might be biased, but I love their beers. It's my favorite brewery from all of the ones I've sampled beers from. Sure, they are slightly more expensive, but well worth it. They only use quality ingredients,and like others have said, they use some rare ingredients in some brews. There's an "advertisement", if you will, in this month's Mid-Atlantic Brewing News. It has an empty bottle of DFH 90min IPA next to a letter from Yakima Cheif, Inc. Basically the letter says thanks to DFH for using them exclusively for hops, but it also asks why they purchase enough hops for at least 280,000 barrels of beer a year, but they only put out 42,000 barrels. Says there must be a leak somewhere or something. Pretty neat add.

Their 90 min IPA is at the top of my list. My local paint store sells it for $43 a case!! Can't beat that considering a 4-pack is $10. India Brown is my go-to beer. It's my session beer. Deep and complex. Besides that, I really like the Olde School Barleywine, Golden Shower, World Wide Stout, 120 min, 60 min, and some others. And their food at their restaurant is pretty awesome too. My fav is the wood grilled rockfish with sun dried tomatoes. Mmmmmmmmm!

Old 05-09-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
JRGSPE73

Recipes 

Just a quick noob question...I'm assuming the 60, 90, and 120 min refer to the boil times, and therefore the amount of hop bitterness?

"You sir, are drunk!"
"And you ma'am, are ugly, but when I wake up, I will be sober..."
-Sir Winston Churchill

Primary #1:
Air
Primary #2 (Plastic): Air
Secondary: Air
Bottled/Conditioning:

Bottled/Drinking: Nut Brown Ale (First Batch), Copperhead Amber Ale (Delicious!)
On The Horizon: Procrastination IPA, DunkelWeizen, Belgian Wit, Caramel Vanilla Creme Ale, Mocha Espresso Porter

Old 05-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGSPE73
Just a quick noob question...I'm assuming the 60, 90, and 120 min refer to the boil times, and therefore the amount of hop bitterness?
In the case of dogfish head, this is true. It is especially true with this series of ales because they use continuous wort hopping. They literally shoot a steady stream of hops into these beers for 60, 90, and 120 minutes respectively. That is a lot of hops!

BYO did a feature last month about creating a gadjet for doing continuous wort hopping in the style of dogfish head.

Most homebrewers do their first hop addition at 60 minutes, even with a 90 minute boil.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
jeffg

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried DFH 90 this past weekend and I thought it was a very good beer. At 9% abv, I understand why it is a little pricey, but it's a nice option to have now and then.

I can't seem to find Stone out here in bottles , although I recently tried their cask conditioned IPA at a beer festival and it was simply outstanding.

Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

Quick Reply