Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mentioned this issue early in the thread - that the folks who don't care as much for DFH tend to be far from the brewery. I don't think it's just a matter of regional preferences (but who knows?).

I agree that there are a lot of factors, especially with a more fragile product like beer. I don't want my beer cooked in a truck for four days while it journeys across the states. That said, Stone brewery is known as being an exceptional beer on both sides of the country and are known for their hop flavors and aromas.

1. Oh man, I'm so envious:cross::D I've been wanting to try Pliny the Elder, but it's not here in GA. I heard from one of the beer stores that GA has an old single distributer policy (and the distributer for the Atlanta region doesn't carry Russian River).

2. I think you'd like Weyerbacher's DIPA much better. If a beer isn't going to be balanced, I guess I'd rather it be weighted towards overly hoppy, roasted, or genuine malt....I don't like overly sweet.

3. As for bitterness with a DIPA....have you tried a continual hop schedule?

4. I do think that's more important then FG, since I've had plenty of beers turn out with desired attenuation that was above 1.020, and weren't that kind of fruity sweetness I taste with the sweet DIPAs.

1. That is known to happen which is why distribution is such a pain in the neck for so many people and breweries. I just picked up an Avery Maharaja DIPA, but haven't tried it. I have been told it is good and would check it out if you can.

2. I will try Weyerbacher's if I find it at my local store. The next part of what you are saying is what I described as being the geographical preference. There can be overly bitter for me, but not overly hoppy in the aroma and flavor. Malty works well in balance (we're talking DIPA's here) along with the hoppy bitter and it is a fine line to walk them both. I personally don't like Lagunitas IPA because I feel that they make too bitter of a beer. I keep trying it, but to no avail.

3. I have not as I haven't found a beer that employs this method that I want to copy.

4. In DIPA if you are finishing above 1.020 then I think that you are not attenuating enough. It might work for your taste buds, but other IPA fans might find it to be sweet if there isn't enough bitter to balance it out. I made up one that was right at 1.020 and I was worried about it not maintaining that balance, so I dry hopped the crap out of it to make sure that it wasn't sweet. Of course, after the dry hop started to wear off that malty sweetness started to come back and so now I try to have it attenuate to the 1.018 level or so. It's a fine line though, because I had another get all the way down to 1.012 and it was way too dry for the amount of hops that I put in. Overpoweringly citrus and pine and hop acid.

4. In DIPA if you are finishing above 1.020 then I think that you are not attenuating enough. It might work for your taste buds, but other IPA fans might find it to be sweet if there isn't enough bitter to balance it out.

Well it also does depend on your grainbill. Sure, if you have a relatively simple DIPA recipe that uses say nothing but crystal malt and honey, then that extra F.G. will be from unfermented sugars (crystal and certain types of honey give you caramelized sugars that do add sweetness). Dogfish might indeed have a higher FG due to there being sweeter unfermentable sugars . But I was just making sure that if we generalize...we do have a distinction between the term "sweet" vs "malty". That plus gravity readings do not just read sugar/ IE sweet tastes (it just reads density).

So my state does not carry dogfish :( Luckily I have really awesome friends and i just scored a 4pk of 90 and 4 120min's. I'm gonna save the 120's for my next brew day, but i just really had to say something about this 90min: FUNKIN AWESOME! People like the makers of doghead make me want to be a better brewer. This is the reason I got into homebrewing and gives me a reason to want to step my game up. Kudos dogfish :mug::tank::ban::rockin::fro:

Glad that they have inspired you to hopefully make better beer. Still don't really enjoy their beer.

Back