Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #21
TommyBoy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the 120 is a bit too "earthy". $10 is fair considering what it is. I would split one with a friend but to buy one for myself again,... probably not.

Heros are made 10 gallons at a time.

Kegged/On Tap - Double IPA
Conditioning - Orange Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #22
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There's a bar here that has a beer club meeting every month... I eventually stopped going because they didn't have themes that I liked but my first one was a DFH horizontal tasting. I don't remember if the WWS was there and I know I had the 90 but can't remember it... the 120 min saved me $10 though. Damn was it good. The aroma is pure hops: I mean insane. The taste, though, has such a high gravity that the GU:IBU ratio doesn't stand a chance and it's incredibly sweet. 'Beer candy' one guy described it.

$10 is standard for a bottle, so I'd split the price with a friend or two and try it. I was lucky enough that when I rushed back up during the free tasting afterward I got another, larger sample

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 06-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #23
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Talk about a resurrection...I have posted about my dislike of this line of beers, the 60, 90, 120. There is zero hop aroma or flavor for me. I had them at a brewfest that Sam Caglione brought the kegs to and so I know they were fresh. To me I think that he is brilliant brewer, marketer and promoter. I however dislike that line and it has made me not get the others yet.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #24
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Their India Brown is tasty...but then I like the 60 and 90 min IPAs.

But, as I said, I absolutely revile the 120...and I generally like barley wines.

EDIT: Oops, sorry Matt, I guess I was the "thread necromancer"... (Browsing a bunch of threads and got side-tracked into the "similar threads" below without paying attention.)

Best Regards, James
--
My beer blog: http://brewdujour.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.carbon111.com

Fermenting: Carbon's Grizzly Bear, Young's Special London Ale (clone)

Bottled/Conditioning:Siberian Raven Winter Ale, Cherry Tree Porter, Victoria's Dirty Secret

Drinking: Montgomery Scottish Ale, Thames American Bitter, Crow's Beak Old Ale, Bastet Brown, Carbon's Cascade Ale, Red Silo Honey IPA

Old 06-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #25
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I also like barley wines when labeled as such. If you call it an IPA, then I want it to be an IPA. I have just chalked it up that DFH makes an English/East Coast styled IPA. It works for many people, just not myself.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #26
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I picked up a bottle each of DFH 60 and a 90 while I was out on my lunchbreak so I could try these again this evening...it's been quite a while. I don't remember the 60 being particularly "east coast" and actually remember it being pretty hoppy if just a tad sweet.

I have some Diamond Knot IPA, Elysian "The Immortal" IPA and Lagunitas IPA at home to compare. I'll see if the neighbor wants to come over for an IPA tasting/testing this evening...3 bombers and a couple 12s would be a bit much for me alone.

Best Regards, James
--

Bottled/Conditioning:Siberian Raven Winter Ale, Cherry Tree Porter, Victoria's Dirty Secret

Drinking: Montgomery Scottish Ale, Thames American Bitter, Crow's Beak Old Ale, Bastet Brown, Carbon's Cascade Ale, Red Silo Honey IPA

Old 06-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #27
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
I have just chalked it up that DFH makes an English/East Coast styled IPA. It works for many people, just not myself.
This is the first time I'm hearing a division between East vs West coast for American IPAs (especially Double IPAs...which is American anyway). I've always equated American IPAs as being hoppier then their English predecessors. I wouldn't lump DFH in with English IPAs, as it does seem more like a hoppy American ale. Now when it comes to American IPAs, there are different profiles with each brewery. For me, I also agree with folks who say that DFH is on the sweet side....but that's not a "malty" kind of sweet and it's not coming from a lack of hops. I equate it to using a less piney hop (or not enough flavor bitterness) and also using too much "sweet" grain (it could be a lot of crystal, or maybe they used honey or something to raise the ABV). We get a hoppy or sweet characteristic from both the type of hop schedule or the particular grain profile used. For a Double IPA that's brewed on the East coast, I like Weyerbacher's DIPA better. It has more of a citrus aroma as well as a more balanced feel in the mouth. For me, they used a better hop schedule as well as more balanced grainbill for my tastes. I tend to like most ales, but prefer balance. The hoppy beers that I prefer to Dogfish are Stone and Great Divide on the West coast....and Weyerbacher and Shmaltz (Hebrew Lenny's RIPA) coming from the East. If I were to just look at IBUs of beers that I like, I'm sure they run from 18 IBU on up to 160.
On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 06-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #28
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
This is the first time I'm hearing a division between East vs West coast for American IPAs (especially Double IPAs...which is American anyway). I've always equated American IPAs as being hoppier then their English predecessors. I wouldn't lump DFH in with English IPAs, as it does seem more like a hoppy American ale. Now when it comes to American IPAs, there are different profiles with each brewery. For me, I also agree with folks who say that DFH is on the sweet side....but that's not a "malty" kind of sweet and it's not coming from a lack of hops. I equate it to using a less piney hop (or not enough flavor bitterness) and also using too much "sweet" grain (it could be a lot of crystal, or maybe they used honey or something to raise the ABV)
For being a beer that is hopped continuously for 90 minutes I would expect it to have less malty sweetness and more hop flavor, bitter and aroma. It is not as dry as most IPA's, which is why I lump it into the English IPA style. I just sent an email to DFH to try and find out the FG and OG. I personally think they start at higher than 1.090 and finish above 1.020. For me it needs to finish at least below 1.020 and this beer is far too sweet to be that low. Also, with that sweetness there is a serious lack of the balance of hop bitterness.

That is why I say, call a barley wine a barley wine and an Imperial IPA an Imperial IPA.

*Disclaimer - The BJCP doesn't have a category for English Imperial IPA, so I couldn't link to that. I thought about going to English Barleywine, but figure that there is enough Hops in the 90 Minute to call it an American Barleywine. Since the 90 Minute claims to have 90 IBU, 9% abv, I have to assume they target 1.090 (though with the amount of sweetness I would guess higher for the less attenuation and retention of 9%abv).

Old 06-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #29
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Expecting Sam & Co. to only "color inside the lines" may be a bit disingenuous.

To me, none of their brews seem to be "to style"...

Best Regards, James
--

Old 06-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #30
jaynik
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 13 Posts

I tried it last weekend and wasn't impressed by it as compared to something cheaper like southern tier ipa. I also tried Stone Ruination which I much preferred, funny since I HATE Stone IPA. The 90 wasn't as hoppy or as complex as I expected. Now, their indian brown is really good.

Quick Reply