Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dogfish black and blue ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
MisterTipsy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz4121 View Post
I wasn't impressed with my first try at black and blue either, but I had purchased a second bottle and aged for a year. Boy did that make a difference. The 1 year old bottle was fantastic!
Agreed.

Most of DFH's boozy, non-hoppy beers taste better with age. When they are fresh, they are boozy and rough. I've had a fresh Black and Blue and one that I aged for about six months. Huge difference. The fresh one tasted like the OP described. The aged one was delicious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #12
Doctor_M
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 179

While im not a big fan of black and blue to dismiss it solely on black and red ( a fruCK UP beer) released as a regular beer from dfh is not a reason to not try it. Black and red sucked as$ ( they had it on draft here at the falls church alehouse for over a year) and that is why it stayed on draft for so long here.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #13
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_M View Post
While im not a big fan of black and blue to dismiss it solely on black and red ( a fruCK UP beer) released as a regular beer from dfh is not a reason to not try it. Black and red sucked as$ ( they had it on draft here at the falls church alehouse for over a year) and that is why it stayed on draft for so long here.
Maybe I'm was being a bit harsh, but honestly, that beer was so awful there is absolutely no way that I would drop $11.25 for a bottle of their beer without tasting it first. It was worse that this was only beer they sent to OBF that year. If that's what you want to represent your brewery, fine, but don't expect me to run out and buy your other products.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #14
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

This beer has been sitting looking at me at this small liquor store i go to over two years without me even trying it yet,or even hesitating to buy it yet.Maybe Ill wait till they are desperate enough to put it on sale to get rid of them,they are at least a few years aged. Its not really a style I tend to pay that much for.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
rgontasz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I love black & blue! I agree that it is better with age, but even fresh it is still worth $12! Black & Red was disgusting! I tried at @ the brewpub and was so disappointed because I thought it sounded good!

Quick Reply