Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Does Homebrew Boost Immunity?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default Does Homebrew Boost Immunity?

Currently, my wife and both of our kids are struggling through common colds, of presumably the same rhinovirus strain. I’m known for getting 2-4 colds per year, usually with the changing of each season, or whenever I come into close proximity with someone who has a cold. Except for the last year. While I’ve been brewing for awhile, I’ve only had a constantly full kegerator since January 2012… and that’s truly the time I recall catching a cold (knocking on wood as I type this). Part of the reason I think it might be associate with homebrewed beer and not commercial is because I’ve always drank commercial beer, even when I was catching a few colds per year. Ever since building my kegerator and brewing larger batches (to build up the pipeline), I consume approximately 1 to 2 pints of my own homemade beer per work night, and a, ahem, tad more over the weekends. This research article found that wine, particularly of the red variety, “may have a protective effect against common cold.” While similar effects were not found for beer drinkers, I wonder if that has to do with the fact most commercial beer is filtered, potentially stripping out any cold-busting elements. Perhaps this sounds far-fetched and totally anecdotal, but I’m telling you, since my beer consumption has switched from mostly commercial to almost totally homemade, I have not experienced anywhere near as much illness. Another example: a week ago both my wife and daughter contracted a stomach bug- juicy out of both ends for 18+ hours. I was fine, despite my physical closeness to both of them. Hmm…

Anyone else out there experience something similar?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Woops... here's the link to the abstract of the article I referred to: http://m.aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/155/9/853.fu

Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Wine is similarly filtered, so I don't suspect it's that. I haven't noticed any change in my general health apart from massive weight gain which is only partially due to my beer intake.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 11-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I think most of these statistics are just people looking at groups of people and finding something that they can say is numerically out of the norm.

You could take left handed people and go disease by disease ( cold, flu, cancer, whatever ) and through random chance you will find things like left handed people have a 5 or 10 percent higher or lower instance of whatever.

People being paid to pour through the numbers and look for things that don't fit. Never attributing it to random acts of the universe.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

Since hops is a natural preservative, theoretically if you injected enough beer directly into your bloodstream, you wouldn't have to worry about getting sick ever again!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Brewer's yeast is often used as a source of B-complex vitamins, chromium, and selenium. The B-complex vitamins in brewer's yeast include B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), and H or B7 (biotin). These vitamins help break down carbohydrates, fats, and proteins, which provide the body with energy. They also support the nervous system, help maintain the muscles used for digestion, and keep skin, hair, eyes, mouth, and liver healthy.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/brewers-yeast-000288.htm#ixzz2CLLlZybw

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Golddiggie Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I agree it is a kind of "dumb luck" thing, but I have also noticed that since I switched to drinking both my own beer and only micros that I have been sick far less.

I also attribute it to having dropped about 60lbs currently and switching from a sedintary lifestyle to a far more active lifestyle and a big change in eating habits which probably has a lot more to do with it than the style of beer I drink occasionaly.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
Chipman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

At a pretty awesome and really small brewery back in MA, there was a worker who consumed plenty of craft unfiltered brew daily. To the point of him being buzzed continuously. Never a day sick since he started doing that. One week he quit drinking, came down with a cold, flu, sore throat etc etc. Went back to the beer and was totally fine again.

Coincidence? I think not. Reason to drink that much? I also think not. But as the saying goes: "Having a homebrew or two, will keep the doc away from you"

..yeah I did just make that up but it sure sounds good yeah?

Cooking with beer? Been doing it for years.
Add it to the food? I'll have to try it sometime.

He who has tasted sailing will walk the earth with his head turned into the wind.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
johngault007
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This forum is enough scientific evidence for me to consume a couple beers a day. Apart from that, I haven't noticed much difference since switching over to predominately home brewed beer. Like others, I am in very great shape and tend to force myself to eat healthy most of the time (it gives me calories to consume on beer). And I believe that is more important than anything else.

But this is great stuff all the same!

Kegged: Concussion Red
Upcoming Brews:Moneypenny IPA, Chocolate Oatmeal Stout (w/cherry)

Old 11-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #10
DrVertebrae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The B vitamins enhances your health and thus your imunity. So drink up. God made beer and beer is here. So drink it!

Quick Reply