Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Does hibiscus inhibit krausen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
Daren_Z
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Does hibiscus inhibit krausen?

I'm brewing a hibiscus pale ale using and american northwest ale yeast by wyeast. I brewed this batch on Saturday with an og of 1.054 and there has been little to no krausen formation (albeit the gravity has fallen to 1.012).. Prior research on this ale yeast has said that it provides a thick krausen that doesn't seem to dissipate.

Could it be the hibiscus that is inhibiting the krausen? Or are there other factors?

Here is what it looks like

forumrunner_20121127_202310.jpg

There is no sign of infection -- the beer smells delicious and there is a healthy yeast cake on the bottom.

Let me know what you think

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Could be, if it has a fair amount of oils present in it. Tried a quick Google search and mostly came up with Hibiscus oils for hair and crap. Never used it myself but I've seen the same happen before in Belgian Wit's when I used oats. Funny too because a few times everything was fine in the fermenter and in the glass. Other times though the oil in the oats killed the krausen and lead to a head that dissipated nearly instantly.

Rev.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
Daren_Z
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
Could be, if it has a fair amount of oils present in it. Tried a quick Google search and mostly came up with Hibiscus oils for hair and crap. Never used it myself but I've seen the same happen before in Belgian Wit's when I used oats. Funny too because a few times everything was fine in the fermenter and in the glass. Other times though the oil in the oats killed the krausen and lead to a head that dissipated nearly instantly.

Rev.
A quick google search said that it contains an essential oil that is good for hair and for aroma therapy.. but would oils consist in a similar capacity in dried leaves?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I currently have a hibiscus pale ale fermenting. Brewed it on Sunday and it's had a good amount of krausen since Monday. It was a foamy pink krausen on Monday; today it's a weird looking burgundy fluff. This is only my second try at hibiscus. First time was a failure - used it in secondary and resulted in infection. This time, I added the hibiscus at flame out.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
dynobyte
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've made a lemongrass hibiscus summer ale the last two years, both times putting the hibiscus in after I transferred to a secondary. I can't speak to the effect in the primary, but I've obtained the results I wanted each time by putting it in the secondary.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Daren_Z
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4J View Post
I currently have a hibiscus pale ale fermenting. Brewed it on Sunday and it's had a good amount of krausen since Monday. It was a foamy pink krausen on Monday; today it's a weird looking burgundy fluff. This is only my second try at hibiscus. First time was a failure - used it in secondary and resulted in infection. This time, I added the hibiscus at flame out.
How much Hibiscus did you add at flame out?

Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Daren_Z
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynobyte View Post
I've made a lemongrass hibiscus summer ale the last two years, both times putting the hibiscus in after I transferred to a secondary. I can't speak to the effect in the primary, but I've obtained the results I wanted each time by putting it in the secondary.
Do you wash the leaves when you put it into the secondary? Or do you make tea?

Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren_Z View Post
How much Hibiscus did you add at flame out?
IIRC, it was 4 cups by volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren_Z View Post
Do you wash the leaves when you put it into the secondary? Or do you make tea?
I don't know what dynobyte did, but in my first attempt, I soaked it in vodka for approx 30 seconds. In hindsight, I should've made a tea with it, or soak it in vodka overnight.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Daren_Z
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4J
IIRC, it was 4 cups by volume.

I don't know what dynobyte did, but in my first attempt, I soaked it in vodka for approx 30 seconds. In hindsight, I should've made a tea with it, or soak it in vodka overnight.
Were you going for a bold or a more subtle hibiscus flavour with the brew? Also, does the high alcohol content of vodka kill any potential bigs that might infect the brew?

Sorry if I sound like a noob, this is my first attempt at additions other than hops.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

i had a healthy krausen and plenty of head on the finished beer with my hibiscus wheat (3oz dried hibiscus at flameout) - it's possible that the wheat countered the effects of the hibiscus but it's not a very oily flower so I don't think anything in there would reduce head/krausen

Quick Reply