Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Does Galena taste like oxidation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 684 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 625

Default Does Galena taste like oxidation?

A few weeks ago, I brewed a pale ale with Galena for bittering hops. Now that I'm drinking it, I've realized I'm not a fan of Galena. It almost tastes like my beer has oxidized a little bit, but I'm wondering if it's just the Galena hops.

Does Galena taste a little like oxidation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
stpug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 154

I would not say that galena hops taste like oxidation. I might call their bitterring component a little on the strong/pungent/harsh side of things, but not oxidized.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 684 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 625

Thanks for the comment. At any rate, I don't plan on using Galena anymore. Unfortunately, I still have 2 oz. in my freezer.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
tsname
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you sure the beer isn't oxidized? You can make a tea with some of your remaining Galena to double check. I heard on the Brewing Network that the brewers at Anchor test out new varieties of hops by uncapping a bottle of Bud Light, dropping in some hops, recapping, and drinking after a (I forget how long) period of time.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
PitchnGrin
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Give it some time before you drink it up. I use it for bittering and even a dry hop experiment which my buddies that like ipa's with a bite preferred. The key is to let it age 4-5 weeks. When it is green I describe it is as metallic and weird, but it comes around after it mellows. Especially in a pale ale that doesn't have a ton of hops to cover it up.

It is minty and pleasant with some age. Almost neutral but more interesting. But I don't exceed 25 ibus with the bittering addition.

I just threw in an ounce as a dry hop along with Columbus and Amarillo in a hoppy amber.

With that said, it is not in the same league with Columbus or Chinook as my favorite pale/ipa bittering hops. But I really like it in stouts and darker beers.

Quick Reply