Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > does chilling beer "change" flavour?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
johndavies86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default does chilling beer "change" flavour?

Does anyone else agree with the statement that chilling your brew "changes" the flavour??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
ZehBaron
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

More than anything, it changes our perception of the flavor. Certain subtleties are hidden by cold temperatures, as flavor and aroma uptake are subdued.

There are some other minor physical changes as well; given enough time, yeast will flocculate out a little bit more and CO2 will dissolve at a higher level, which IMO make the beer taste cleaner and crisper.

So yes, chilled beer is definitely different in taste, but I'd say more of that comes from our palates' perception than an actual change in the beer itself.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
dannyhawkins
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've heard and tend to agree that arctic chills can dull flavors. There was some unenthusiastic talk about good beer served in frozen mugs at commercial joints in a post recently. I don't however believe chilling or cooling would cause any permanent flavor changes. Unless you are cold conditioning but that is a different story.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
Maxkling
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

The best way is what I did.

I took 2 of the same porters. Let one sit on the counter til it got around 48-50 degree. Then got one straight out of the fridge. The warmer one had way more fruity, blended taste. The colder was more earthy and harsh on the back end. Then take a natty light, cold it is crisp and clean, warm it is just plain funky.

"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

"Gun Control Means Using Both Hands."

Old 09-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Bottle conditioning and lagering with time will change beer perception with the same beer, in my experience it constantly evolves . As does warming your beer when drinking at certain temps. And adding the yeast at the bottem will shurely change the taste of it. I would drink that seperate though mainly just for health benefits not taste.

Quick Reply