Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Does anyone really like scottish ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #21
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 636 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I like it...unless it's peated. Keep the peat out of the Scottish ales, please!

Correctly brewed, most Scottish styles should be somewhat big and tip the balance scale toward malt. What's not to like?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #22
mummasan
Recipes 

I recently had a Wee Beast and it was great. I'm pretty sure it is a scottish ale and I have been looking for a recipie. Thanks for posting the scottish ale recipie.

I'm not sure I want to collect 11 gallons of wort and boil for three hours. That sounds like too much work for me.

I'm thinking I'll do a 10-12lb AG batch with the listed ingredients and adjust with DME to get the proper OG.

I think this is a great style of beer.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:15 AM   #23
VA Brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
What exactly don't you like about it?
The aftertaste is like getting hit in the throat with a wad of heated dirty gym socks. I heard the mention of peat malt and i am pretty sure that the three i have drank were peated (not quite sure what that means but i wouldn't be surprised if it refers to the peat definition of decaying organic matter). At least that means that maybe i can give scotch ale another shot as long as it is not peated, given so many of you are fans of scotch ale.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:37 AM   #24
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm a huge hophead, but I can also appreciate a well made, malty Scotch Ale as well. I've even brewed a couple that I've been very happy with.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:42 AM   #25
Neomich
Recipes 

Yeah, I gotta agree that this is one style I don't get. I've tried a few on different occasions just thinking that "the next one will be different" and I really can't get into it.

But hey, the world of beer is a big place. There's something for everyone. I'm a big belgian fan but I know some people that just can't stand belgians.

Drink what you want, that's the fun of homebrewing.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Old 02-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #26
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Brew
The aftertaste is like getting hit in the throat with a wad of heated dirty gym socks. I heard the mention of peat malt and i am pretty sure that the three i have drank were peated (not quite sure what that means but i wouldn't be surprised if it refers to the peat definition of decaying organic matter). At least that means that maybe i can give scotch ale another shot as long as it is not peated, given so many of you are fans of scotch ale.

Unfortunately at some point in the past the BJCP guidelines noted a "smoky" flavour in scotch ales. This was interpreted by some that peat smoked malt (normally used for making scotch whiskey) was an acceptable ingredient. It is, however, NOT used by brewers of scottish ales in Scotland. When used it is frequently overdone. I have brewed Jamils recipe many times and it has no peated malt in it and there is a very faint smoky flavour that is barely noticeable, presumably coming from the roasted malts and likely apparent as there is no hop flavour/bitterness to mask it.

GT

Old 02-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #27
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I thought that a Scottish sounded like a interesting brew so I recently picked up a McEwan's.
I really enjoyed it from the first sip. Wonderful malty, sweet beer. Sure it is weighted heavily towards the malt, but I really like it this way. It balances out the IPAs I also really like.
I thought the McEwan's was most similar in flavor to a Bock but I liked the Scotch Ale even better.

Craig

Old 02-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #28
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Yes, I like them and liked them right from the get-go. I had to grow into liking IPAs, but a nice malty beer really tastes good to me. I'll vote no on the peated as well.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #29
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
I like it...unless it's peated. Keep the peat out of the Scottish ales, please!

Correctly brewed, most Scottish styles should be somewhat big and tip the balance scale toward malt. What's not to like?
I disagree, slightly.

Walker's Gruagach 80/- recipe has a tiny bit of peat malt in it, which I think is exceptional. For some reason I have a hard time getting a smoke flavor out of the white labs scottish ale yeast, so I agree the recipe needed the peat malt to give it that authentic effect.

Is the White Labs not the best one to use when doing an authentic scottish ale? Does the Wyeast give a more smoky profile?

Otherwise, I love scottish ales. Old Chub is a nice example that we can get in the states, and in CANS. AWESOME!!!!
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #30
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Brew
You had the Belhaven Scottish Ale? I defy you to drink that and tell me you don't like it. If you do, well, I'd have to say that your taste buds are shot. No offense.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply