New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Does anyone really like IPA's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
brewhead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I LOVE ME SOME IPA!!! the hoppier the better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I love IPAs, but in moderation...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 02-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

APA is one of my favorite brews... especially if its made w/ cascade, simcoe, or both. If you aren't a hop head then thats fine... you probably enjoy malty english ales that I can't enjoy like an APA.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #14
Junebug

Recipes 

My tastes have really changed in the last couple of years. I used to dislike hoppy beers, but now I really enjoy a good IPA. Right now, APAs are among my favorites, with a little less hoppiness. Homebrewing has opened up a whole new world to me- it makes me wonder how the masses can stand to drink that watery BMC!

Conditioning: Irish Cream Ale

Conditioning: Kilkenny Irish Ale

Old 02-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #15
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes-I really do like them. I've had mixed success brewing them though. I like balance though, and you need enough malt to balance the hoppiness and/or bitterness. I think the DFH120 is WAY too sweet-but that's me. I also like the malty stuff-but the variety is what's amazing about beer IMO.

As an aside, it seems that if you enjoy that other green canaboid-you'll tend to like IPAs. You'd also be hard pressed to prove to me that their popularity hasn't contributed to this shortage. For some of my buddies-this is pretty much all they drink. So the demand is definitely there-and if all of a sudden, beers that need 4 or 5 times the 'normal' amount of hops become twice as popular as they once were-the hops have to come from somewhere.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #16
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Everyone's taste is different. Your tongue only detects 4 tastes, sweet, salty, sour and bitter. A large part of the percieved sense of taste sensation is actually smell.

Taste is the weakest of all the 5 senses and as you age your sense of taste declines.

Also other factors influence your sense of taste. Smoking dulls your sense of taste and smell, I've noticed that a great many smokers also like IPA's.

Other things like medication or even a vitamin deficiency can cause a lost, or lessing of the sense of taste.

And just like some people are tone deaf, but can hear, some are color blind but can see, some folks just don't have much of a sense of taste for 1 or more of the 4 tastes we are capable of. Like people that can read a book w/o glasses but can't see dittilly squat 20 ft. away.

Taste varies just like vision, and while some folks are 20/10 some are 20/20, some are 20/200 and some are legally blind but still see something.

The ladies also have more taste buds and a greater sense of taste than the guys as a general rule.

Last edited by abracadabra; 02-11-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #17
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 339 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 92

The only IPAs I have found that I really disliked were those that become almost barleywine-like with their malt profile. I mean, I love IPAs with malty backbones, but not ones with a lot of sweetness or body. DFH's 90 is a pretty good beer, but I would almost consider it a hoppy-barleywine; other breweries seem to take a similar approach to their IIPAs, don't dry them out as well, and their execution is just not as good. I have had a couple of dumpers just because they were too cloying; just having a ton of IBUs and a ton of hop flavor doesn't mean you can go insane with the sweetness.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #18
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra

Also other factors influence your sense of taste. Smoking dulls your sense of taste and smell, I've noticed that a great many smokers also like IPA's.

Other things like medication or even a vitamin deficiency can cause a lost, or lessing of the sense of taste.

And just like some people are tone deaf, but can hear, some are color blind but can see, some folks just don't have much of a sense of taste for 1 or more of the 4 tastes we are capable of. Like people that can read a book w/o glasses but can't see dittilly squat 20 ft. away.

Taste varies just like vision, and while some folks are 20/10 some are 20/20, some are 20/200 and some are legally blind but still see something.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with my sense of taste... IPA's are HOPPY! and that the way I like it. Lol... the state of one's taste has little to do with it I think. I mean even if I could taste half of what other people can, I will still notice that a hoppy beer is twice as hoppy as a normal beer.
~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #19
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When I first started drinking good beer, IPA's were a bit too much, eventually I got to the point where most commercial IPA's drink like a regular pale ale. I can understand why IPA's might be over the top for some people.

So far, I really haven't ran into a style I don't like. I have limited experience with sour beers, but sampled a few during Brewtopia's x-mas party, and I can definately see myself drinking more.

It doesn't bother me that not everyone likes every type of beer, sometimes I feel that I might have issues because I like all beer styles so far.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #20
SayWhat1
Recipes 

I had my first good IPA on Saturday at a local brewpub. It's hard to get commercial beer that's handled right around here. Pretty much everything I buy from a liquor store is skunked by the time I drink it.

Having had a good one now, though, I do like them. I might have to try my hand at brewing one now.

Quick Reply