Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Does anyone really like IPA's?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Does anyone really like IPA's?

Seriously, I have never had an IPA that I liked. I brewed Yooper's DFH60 clone and the sampling has indicated that it's a really good beer, and it's really good for an IPA, but truth be told, it's hopped like crazy and it just takes away from the beer-ness of it all.

I drink IPA's when I'm around homebrewers just to be polite. I guess I can understand what folks see in them, but deep down, I just don't think they're that great and if I never had another one, or if the style had never been invented, I wouldn't really be saddened.

Anybody else feel the same?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
Klainmeister
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I feel the same. I think when the hoppiness is that high it just takes away from the whole concept of the beer itself. Couldn't you just steep some hops and have a hop tea instead!?

Nonetheless, different strokes for different folks. I suppose it could be acquired or maybe some people just have more/less sensitive bitter zones. I'm a malt boy myself.

Bayern, i sag ma mir.

Bayern, un des Bayerische bier!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Personally, I LOVE IPA's.
I've never been a brewer that adhere's that closely to style guidelines and I tend to like beers that may be over hopped for certain styles.

Don't get me wrong, I like balance. But I also tend to like beers that lean towards the hoppy side.

Hey, I do live in the Pacific NW.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have 44 IBU's in a german Alt-Bier and it's right at my limit for "ordinary" hoppiness. I mean, I can have a bit more hoppiness, but everybody who tastes the beer says, "it's very hoppy" and I concur. I could add more hops, but if I do the beer will be very hop-centric.

40 IBU's or so is my limit for normal beers. I find 40 IBU's to be quite hoppy and don't want to generally go above that limit for normal drinking.

Now, as I said, I did make the DFH60 clone and it came out a little low on the efficiency so it's even hoppier than planned. I like it well enough. I know it's a good beer. I can give it to people and say, "that's a hoppy beer". But I'm not crazy about it except as an experiment in hops.

I'm actually looking forward to making some beers in the 8-12 IBU range this year. I'm especially psyched about a couple of 2.5-3.5% ABV beers I have planned for every day drinking.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

When making (good) IPAs, the focus is on balance not only of the hops and the malt, but also of the hops themselves. The addition times are extreamly important, as well as where in the process they are used (mash hop, hop-back, continuous hop, dry hop, etc.) I think that while IPA obviously is all about the hops, I think that it can be approached the same way as malt centric beers can be approached. We fret and bite our nails about just the right percentages of different malt types to use, to achieve that right amount of balance. Hop type and percentages are just as important, and can be just as difficult.

I think malty beers and hoppy beers both share the same difficulty in production, and making an IPA by "just throwing in a bunch of hops" is pretty much going to yield the same result as making a english mild by "just throwing in a bunch of malt." Care must be taken with all beer recipes, and either with hops or without, its all beer

mike

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I like an IPA like here and there, but they are far from my favorite. Additionally, I don't usually like the WAY overdone ones. All in all, they are one of those things that I can appreciate and enjoy, but I will usually just have one.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nobody does....

..it's just an inside joke we have been playing on you to see if you would drink really bitter hoppy beers.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow, what is up with you guys? One doesn't like scottish ales, and another doesn't like IPAs?

IPA is one of my favorite styles. I am absolutely fascinated by hops.

The story alone on how IPA came about makes me appreciate it even more.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Really? Do you honestly think that they would be so popular if nobody really liked them? I love me some IPA...IIPA and DIPA even more. Break me off some hops, dammit! Don't get me wrong, I love malty bocks and scottish ales too...but I can be a bit of a hophead sometimes, and nothing works but an IPA.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Well, I like pretty much ALL beers. But my favorite style definitely is IPA. American IPA especially, but I love the English IPAs, too. I'm not a big stout fan, but I like them enough to have one when I'm out with friends, or if someone made a good one. I guess we all have different tastes, don't we?

Quick Reply